Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN Disconnecting all the time - Not useable

Gibble
Grafter

Hi

for the past 2weeks my msn has been disconnecting constantly, i can't actually use it. I can sign in but as soon as i send a message or recieve one it disconnects and then reconnects.

It's far from useable, nothing else on the internet cuts i mean if downloading there going fine, if surfing they too are going fine just seems to be MSN.

Can anyone help me with this problem, i thought it might be that new plusnet firewall but i went on to my settings to see it was off so it can't be.

I'm on Broadband Premier Option 2

Any help is appreciated
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you on LLU? I ask because Pipex Homecall users, also on Tiscali LLU have huge issues too with MSN messenger.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Gibble
Grafter

i don't think im on LLU, i hope not didn't request LLU think im on BT ADSL Max or is it ADSL2 not too sure of the names.

How can i check if i'm on LLU or not?
Community Veteran

This will tell you http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

If yo get a reply you are on a gateway called thn-ag2, you are on Tiscali LLU.

Other Tiscal customer have MSN failing between the hours of 17:00 and 23:00, and I mean the problems happens start/stop at exactly those times!

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Gibble
Grafter

Nope im not on that then as i'm see

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 6" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag1.

Anyone have any ideas, this is still happening, i have even done a virus scan and adware and spyware scans and the problem still persist.
James
Grafter

As you have suggested it sounds like a problem specific to MSN. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software? It's not a problem I've ever had when I've been connected via PN.
N/A

I've been having this in the evenings as well, as has Louise. I'm not on LLU and she certainly isn't as she uses cable.

MSN aren't reporting any issues at the moment and I've simply switched to Skype as I can't be bothered to work out what's causing the issues (working twelve hour days ATM and simply don't have the time).

If anyone finds an answer I'd be grateful if you could post it here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've not had any problems for a while, and this may be completely unrelated but ..

Some months ago I had massive problems with MSN, it seemed 50-75% of the time messages I sent would not get to the other side (got the red message cannot be sent warning). It happened to multiple people despite the fact we were both on-line. However sometimes the next time I sent the message it might go through. It was intermittent but happened often enough to really start to annoy.

This was using my work connection.

This went on for weeks and I got so fed up with it that someone at work suggested I try GAIM (a free client which supports a number of different messengers):

http://www.pidgin.im/downloads.php
(I think pidgin is the new name for the next version which has not been released yet)

This seemed to work a lot better and solved my problems. Eventually I switched back to the official client and it seemed to disappear by then. So not really sure why it was happening.

You might actually prefer it to the MS client as it is quite different .. but even if you don't then I still recommend giving it a try to see if your problems still persist with that. If they don't at least you'll have a usable messenger for now even if you don't prefer it (which I guess is the main thing).
N/A

I use GAIM at work and haven't had any problems there, but then the problems mostly seem confined to late evening anyway.

I generally don't use GAIM at home as it doesn't support webcam or voice chat, thus will stick with Skype for now.