cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXed for 12 days, 8M at router, 3.5M downloads, CS gives up

N/A

I raised a ticket yesterday morning at 10am (ticket 19238787), regarding the fact that my line has been at adslmax for 11 days, the router is constantly showing 8128K downstream, 832K upstream, and yet all speed tests are giving me 3-3.5M download speeds (plusnet, adslguide & DSLzone uk, all report similar figures).

Response to ticket today at 3pm (thats a day and 5 hours later) is that 3.5M must be all my line can sustain ? WHAT ?....the router has reported 8M CONSTANTLY for 11 days ! I've powered it off a dozen times, and each time it reports the same. (how come it took a day and a half to answer, anytime I check the average response time its generally 2-5 hrs).

Is the above response not just plainly rubbish, is my plusnet supplied router lying to me when it says that it has an 8M connection ? The exchange checker shows no issues or capacity problems. The customer services rep advised me to take my problem to the forums as it was too difficult an issue to advise on within the ticket system...oh and maybe also search the internet for help. Is that the total sum assistance I am going to get from support ? Is this the level of support that plusnet deem appropraite for a £480 a year account ?

Is it anything to do with the fact that my account is still registering as teleworker premier 4mB ?? or is this not an issue ?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I presume the CS agent in question didn't have enough sense to get you to do a BT speed test first?
N/A

What is your downstream margin and line attenuation?

It could just be down to the quality of your line.
N/A

Router reports:-

SNr margin down=(varies between 11.8 and 14) up=18
Lin Atten down=6.1 up=5
Data rate down=8128 up=832
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What speed does the BT Speedtest give?

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

If that's the same then contention at the exchange may mean that the speeds you are seeing are normal at the moment, have you tried a speed test either overnight or the early hours of the morning?
N/A

What is being reported when you login here 4000 or 8000? If 4000 then maybe PN are at fault not changing account max data rate details?

Sorry forgot the link

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
N/A

I'll try a BT speedtest when everyone has gone home.

Dave Tomlinson...is it definitely nothing to do with the fact that my account is flagged as "teleworker up to 4mB" product ?
JonathanW
Grafter

It shouldn't be down to your account, if the portal is showing that your stable rate is 8000, or close to that. The best thing to do is run the BT Speed Check, once during the day and then another time when your exchange is going to be quieter, such as over night, and see what results they give you.
N/A

The BRAs checker states 8000.

I've just run the BT speedchecker 3 times and have got

So does this imply that whatever the issue is, its not a plusnet problem and just a reduced thruput due to testing at peak times ?

Regards

Ian
N/A

I've just rechecked my exchange using the usertools exchange checker and see that its been changed sometime today to"Virtual Paths red", with the following message.

"At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected."

ETA is 27th of April, so I'll do morre testing in a couple of days time.

Regards

Ian
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yeah, looks like BT have identified a problem, fingers crossed speeds will be higher at the end of the week.
tangey
Grafter

Dave,

Thank you for your help. A pointer to the BT speedtester by the customer support person who dealt with my ticket would have been a useful suggestion.

(posted from my home account, my work account being noraut, the one in question)