cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXdsl and the upgrade that never was.

N/A

WooHoo my exchange has been upgraded to 8Mb. Effect 0, nothing, nada, zilch not a sausage.

So I get this email saying my line can't support more than that which I have currently (1mb) and that's either down to the distance I am from the exchange (2-3 miles) or my home phone line.

Now I can't do anything about the distance I am from the exchange but maybe I can do something about my quality of my home line.

How can |I find out the limitimg factor and what I can do about it, if anything?
11 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

The email you received sounds something to do with the old bulk upgrades that we carried out last year. Very few people have had an order put through to change them to the Max products, as we've only just started placing the orders for this.

As for the limiting factor, for Max this is down to the SNR, so I'd suggest checking your equipment to see if it gives you any line stats.
N/A

I had the same problem, and the same reply.

Hold in there, MAX is coming Cheesy
N/A

silly question what is a good SNR for max dsl
N/A

Maxdsl will adjust its speed so that the SNR doesn't fall below 6db... so if you're well above that then you should be able to get a fair improvement...
N/A

I got a snr of 27db

and im sorry to hear that you are leaving PN but i dont blame you with all the cr*p going around here i think a few more will be joining you

all the best wiv your new ISP
N/A

Well my journey to pastures new just hit an offputting snag... the order page keeps looping around back to the start and won't do anything... mutter.
N/A

Clearly an omen Smiley
N/A

Yep, I should have known better than to try using work's system. Kept flipping me between different proxy servers and so the session system kept getting screwed... all sorted now.
N/A

The email ref was E00102

Line attenuation - downstream 52db upstream 28db
Noise Margin - Downstream 27db upstream 24db
kreynolds
Grafter

Had my ADSL line regrade done overnight.

this is what I currently have:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 26 db 6 db
Noise Margin 12 db 25 db

Aopart from connection speed the only figure that has altered is the downstream noise margin. It has dropped from 31dB. Will have to wait until billing date as can still only download at 1949.1 kbps
N/A

The billing date and download speed aren't linked. If your router was on when the regrade happend it could take upto 3 days from the BRAS to pick up your new speed. You *might* be able to force this if you disconnect and reconnect but only if the new speed is different to your current sync speed.