cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX DSL Upgrade & Regrade FAQ's

N/A

MAX DSL Upgrade & Regrade FAQ's

Max DSL Upgrade & Regrade FAQ

Having encountered a numerous amount of threads all bordering on the same questions it was thought easier to compile an FAQ which would answer your questions without the need to hunt them down.

If you have any more questions which are NOT in this FAQ and you cannot find them using the search link then please PM me or one of the other mods and we will add these to this FAQ and have them answered.

I hope they prove useful to you.

Is my exchange enabled to receive MAX DSL yet?

Should be! To check whether or not your exchange has been enabled, please visit http://bt.com/broadband and dump your telephone number into the bit where it says "Can I get Broadband."

How fast can I expect my connection to be once I have been upgraded to MAX DSL?

If you are able to get the noise margin and line attenuation figures from your modem or router, you should be able to gain a crude estimation from this site: http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

When will I be upgraded to MAX DSL (Sequence in which regrades are placed etc)?

Tricky question. We'll be upgrading the customers on 4 & 8 Mbps products first, and we have already placed approximately 5,000 regrade orders with BT to cover those customers. Once those have been done, we will then be placing regrade orders on customers dependant on how long they have been customers with us - oldest first.

We are currently only able to place 700 regrade orders on a daily basis, and we are awaiting the release of BT's bulk regrade tool, which should be ready by the end of the month. Until we know how many regrade orders we will be able to place using this, we will be unable to commit to timescales regarding upgrades for everyone.

Can I queue jump so I don't have to wait for my free upgrade?

Not currently. It is something that we are looking into, but not before the regrades for the 4 & 8Mbps customers have been completed, and not before we have been given concrete information from BT regarding how many upgrades we will be able to place using their bulk regrade tool.

My VMBU is still the same and hasn't changed to the new one. Are you sure I can get MAX DSL whilst I have this VMBU?

Absolutely. We are moving customers over to the new platform in accordance with their billing date. The billing date will have no effect on when the MaxDSL upgrade is completed.

My VMBU has changed but I haven't noticed a change in speed. Have you forgot to upgrade my line speed?

This is because the VMBU changes are in line with the product refresh, whereas the MaxDSL speeds will relate to where you are in the queue or whether you are on a 4 or 8Mbps product.

Will all overnight downloading be 100% free from within my billing date in April onwards ( even if billing date was 1st April )?

No. This will only be in place when you have been moved onto the new product platform.

How are business packages being handled in respect to the upgrades and regrades?

Same as the residential packages. (See below)

Where in the upgrade sequence do business fall compared to say the "Up to 2mb premier" package?

Identical to the Residential packages. If they are on a 4 or 8Mbps service, they will be done first, otherwise it would depend on how long they have been a customer of ours for.

It was said that I would have to leave my connection going for 10 days in order for an accurate reading to be made on what speed my line can handle. Does this mean I have to leave my router on 24/7 for 10 days without a rebootor being turned off?

It shouldn't matter. BT will require 3 separate connections to calculate the Maximum Sync Rate, so ideally, it would be best for you to reboot the router every 2-3 of the first ten days. We're currently looking into measure to prevent this from being required.

If I don't have a router does this mean I need to leave my computer on 24/7 for 10 days as I only have a USB modem?

No. In order for BT to calculate your Maximum Sync Rate, they will monitor three separate connections within the 10 day period.

I've been having a few problems at home and never had a constant connection during the 10 day window. Can my line be re-evaluated at all to see if I have missed out on any speed?

Yes. We would be able to request that BT re-evaluate your MSR (Maximum Sync Rate). In order to get us to do this, you would need to raise a ticket.

What are the upload speeds for both the residential packages and business packages?

On a residential package, you would see uploads of upto 448Kbps, and 832Kbps on a business product. The upload speed in either case depend on you SNR and your line and will increase in small incremants so you are able to get the highest possible upload speed for your line.

Interleaving, how could this affect me and will I get a choice between having it set to Auto or off?

Interleaving will be set to automatic. By default, this will mean that it is turned off. Basically, interleaving is used to improve reliable, but may also caused an increase in latency. Interleaving will be turned on by BT if say, for example, an exchange is suffering a number of reliability issues, such as constant disconnections, and interleaving would be deemed to resolve the fault.

Is it true that James Bailey has pink trainers?

This is an urban myth. They were in fact Magenta & Blue, and one of them decided to fall apart (literally) in a pub in West Hertfordshire, and as such, they are no more Sad

Well guys I hope it was helpful, and please do PM me or one of the other Mods if you have any questions you would like adding.

Regards,