cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC !!!!

N/A

MAC !!!!

Enough is enough, I have been with PlusNet for a number of years now but now I am very concerned with the speed issues, reliability and reduction in service (support, 40 minutes waiting for them to answer the phone while continually listening to "look at our online help guide", real useful if you can't get online !!!). So I have searched the market and found a few ISP's offering a better deal than PlusNet, however they require my MAC... something PlusNet say they cannot give as THEY transferred me over to a new network provider. So how the hell do I get my MAC now !!.. Another great move for customer satifaction by PlusNet eh !!.
Perhaps Ofcom could assist.... they have a 'code of practice' something that many ISP's have signed up to.. but hey... guess who is missing.. Yep.. PlusNet.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Update

Well after talking to several other ISP's (who were helpful by the way), each of them has told me PlusNet has to provide my MAC key if I have requested it. If they have transferred my service to another network provider then they have to obtain my MAC key from them for me.
LETS GET GOING PLUSNET !!!.....I have gone from thinking what a fabulous service they provide to not being able to get away quick enough very quickly indeed.
If PlusNet goes down and you don't have your MAC key, what are you going to do ??!
N/A

Re: Update

If PlusNet goes down and you don't have your MAC key, what are you going to do ??!

Simple: sign on with another ISP it will hardly be an end of the world situation.
N/A

MAC !!!!

@deanw The code of practice is voluntary, and apparently a reason (perhaps the only reason) for PN not having gone with it is because one clause says the ISP cannot withhold the MAC. From PN's side, that could mean someone leaving the service while still owing money to PN, and that's why they didn't go along with it.

As to your situation, it looks like you've been moved to LLU, and while it may be possible to get one of the 'special' 'trial' MACs to allow for transfer from the LLU service to another ISP using a BT Wholesale product, that process is currently experimental, and you'd need to find an ISP which is on the BT Wholesale trial to be able to accept this 'special' MAC.

If you look over on the PUG Forum you may find a few more comments on LLU.
N/A

MAC !!!!

Well, one major show stopper to migrating to another ISP without a MAC key is that they won't let you migrate without a MAC key !. So, if you are left high and dry by PlusNet not being able to provide a MAC key because they transferred you, will they cover the cost of a cease & re-connect ?....Mmmmm.

Yep, that is a possibilty, take your MAC key then don't pay what you owe. However that hasn't stopped AOL, Virgin etc etc from holding their customers above contempt and signing up. It would be great PR to state that you have signed up to the code of practice and would help win over existing disgruntled customers as well as attract new ones. But hey !!.... currently PlusNet do not seem to be putting their customers first, so no chance of seeing their name on the list.