cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC requests

N/A

MAC requests

While I understand that PN's customer service are quite right to persuade us not to leave... I don't see how I can stay:

- Bandwidth prioritisation. An unknown entity that will affect those of us that work from home a few days a week.

- 8 Meg mystery. As a 39.99 Premier user, I did think we'd get clearer answers on this happening within a reasonable timeframe.

- SMTP block. This pains me as I'm a network admin and I have to wind up remoting into a terminal server to check smtp gateways as I cannot even do it on my connection. It's a drag for normal email use too.

So, please, can I have my MAC?

Thanks,
52 REPLIES
N/A

MAC requests

There is no SMTP block that I know of.
N/A

MAC requests

There is no SMTP block that I know of.

That's fine, so you don't know of it. That doesn't stop it from being there.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be forced to use relay.plus.net. Any TCP 25 traffic on my Plusnet account goes exactly nowhere. Same laptop, same mail configuration elsewhere works just fine.
N/A

MAC requests

Have you attempted to use your modem/router configuration elsewhere too, in order to confirm this.

I have just performed some diagnostic testing, which seems to have worked OK

AOL
telnet mailin-01.mx.aol.com 25 - Result: Sucess

Hotmail
telnet mailserver.htomail.co.uk 25 - Result: Sucess
N/A

MAC requests

Have you attempted to use your modem/router configuration elsewhere too, in order to confirm this.

I have just performed some diagnostic testing, which seems to have worked OK

AOL
telnet mailin-01.mx.aol.com 25 - Result: Sucess

Hotmail
telnet mailserver.htomail.co.uk 25 - Result: Sucess

Indeed I have. I have a Cisco 831 router these days. Prior to this I had a Netgear DG834.
N/A

MAC requests

It's very easy to reproduce:

Just trying using a third party's SMTP server in your mail client.
N/A

MAC requests

Which I already do, with sucess.
N/A

MAC requests

acelera

tell me what to do on here and i will try now for you if you want a 2nd opinion
N/A

MAC requests

I'm glad it works for you. I've been with PN since Dec '03 and it used to work for me as well.

As it happens, the SMTP issue hasn't been the showstopper for me and I appreciate your willingness to help out. My main issues are the ones driving me out the door.

Thanks
Ben_Brown
Grafter

MAC requests

There is no block on port 25. I run a mailserver at home without any problems, as well as being able to telnet to 3rd party SMTP servers.
N/A

MAC requests

acelera

tell me what to do on here and i will try now for you if you want a 2nd opinion

Do you have any external mail accounts? Or, failing that, do you have an internal SMTP server on your LAN?
N/A

MAC requests

As it happens, the SMTP issue hasn't been the showstopper for me and I appreciate your willingness to help out.

I've used XP's SMTP server no problem, not tried it very recently, but it did work fine a few weeks back IIRC.
N/A

MAC requests

I use a few 3rd party smtp servers from my plus net account with no problems.
N/A

MAC requests

Ok.

I mentioned the SMTP thing as it happens to me. As it happens, my original request is about my MAC and the reasons why I'm keen on leaving asap.

Noone seems to be addressing that.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

MAC requests

Unfortunately we're not able to take requests for MAC keys over the forums, you'll need to raise this via our contact us system.