cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC request and slightly over this months useage

N/A

Hi boys and girls.
Just requested my MAC because Orange have offered free broadband with my mobile contract. I have to be honest and say that PN have been great in the last 4 months or so and that it seems their previous problems have been cleared. But free broadband is free broadband!

My big question though is:
I have just gone slightly (200 or so mb), over the 4 gig mark allowance; are PN going to get funny with me and try to chuck charges at me?

Cheers
Stuart
15 REPLIES
the_groundsman
Grafter

Orange

OrangeHuh

Couldnt wait to get away, Emails are rejected by 50% of recipients, queries never addressed. Cant get through on the phone.

Plusnet are 1000 times better....

good luck but remember there is no such thing as a free lunch
N/A

A colleague of mine signed up with Orange around 6 months ago (only asked for advice when Orange made a hash of it....)

He's still not connected, and isn't getting anywhere fast - he currently piggybacks his neighbours wireless. (With prior agreement)

I've spoken to Orange a couple of times, and he calls regularly - Orange really don't seem to know what is happening though.

Mind you, I guess you can't really complain about something thats free......

Not a hard and fast rule, but in this world you do tend to get what you pay for.

Folks giving out free BB are subject to the same costs as PN are, so do you really think it'll be better, or worse service?
N/A

I totaly take on board what both of you are saying, however I know 2 people who are with them and sing their praises. I've had enough problems with PN to know they are as flawed as all the others out there. But flawed and free is something I can work with. Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There are no charges at all for going over your usage allowance on your account. All we do is slow the connection down until the end of the billing month.

Regarding the free Orange offer, did you know the total usage allowance is 2GB per month?
N/A

lol, yeah I know. However, they offer the 8mb service for £5 a month which is unlimited.
I stand by what I said earlier. PN have been awful but they are getting better, (however I'm currently on 230 kbps connection when it should be 2000!; will continue to monitor for 24 hours). But by going to them I save £10 per month for mobile and BB. My wallet says give them a go.
N/A

PS
Thanks Dave. I wasn't sure and I've always found the forums to be quick and informitive.
N/A

Hi Dave

Sorry, must have been asleep when writing earlier. Because I've slipped over the edge has my connection been cut by 75%? Just so I know what it is and don't need to log a call or anything.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Well "unlimited*" rather than "unlimited", you probably want to check the fine print on that.

The way I see it is how much value to do you place on your broadband connection and how important is it to you? As James says the costs to the provide the service are pretty much the same to the "free" ISPs as to everyone else so you have to wonder.
N/A

True. But everyone's the same. PN says that off peak usage is unlimited but in reality they expect you to stay within 50 gig per month. I have no problem with this. In truth I've often defended the peak / off-peak policy but this is more about the complete package. I'm not a massive user compared to many and have rarely strayed over the imposed limits. What I like is certainty. The knowledge that when I go online I have a speed that I can use. in 18 months PN have only been able to offer that for the last 4 months. BTW my speed is back up to 1.9mbps which is standard for me and proves my point with regard to the previous entry.
N/A

PN says that off peak usage is unlimited

No, they most certainly don't say any such thing.
N/A

BTW my speed is back up to 1.9mbps which is standard for me and proves my point with regard to the previous entry.

That's due to you being over your limit. you will be reduced to 256 during peak, then back to full speed off peak.

If you think Orange are going to be any better for you then good luck. Im by no means a Plusnet fanboy...but i wouldn't touch Orange with a bargepole. Free broadband is usually bad broadband.

Check out their rather spectacularly bad ratings and comments here... http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php#

You have been warned.
N/A

That's due to you being over your limit. you will be reduced to 256 during peak, then back to full speed off peak.

Sorry, no I disagree. (About the speeds) If you notice the time on my post is 23:18, off-peak useage starts at midnight. So unless they cut my speed by 75% for x number of hours and they upped it again 40 mins before peak time stopped there was a different problem. This could be contention; a BT problem; a faulty splitter; Christmas lights turning themselves on etc. BTW my router is plugged directly into the master socket.

As for Orange; what the hell. Let's see how they are Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think the post time is showing as GMT rather than BST, if you go to profile at the top of the page you can correct the timezone.
N/A

My most humble apologies. 4 pm and the speed has dropped. No 2142 for me tonight Sad, but it's my own fault and so no complaints here.