cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC not available for LLU customers?????

N/A

because of the ongoing speed and reliability and worsening customer support i decided to leave PN. I requested a MAC key, i am on a monthly contract for the precise reason that i can run away easily when problems occur with the provider.

I was emailed back to say that bcz i am not with BT for the broadband i.e. LLU provided by tiscali, there is no MAC keys, the new provider has to be in some trial LLU thing for me to be able to get a MAC key and they said not many providers are.

The solution is i cancel the account but i dont want to cancel the account as this would mean i get an interuption in the service in migration and probably have to pay more to the new suppliers.

I just want to know legally, did PN tell its customers that they will not be issued with MAC keys if they are on LLU, because as far as i am concerned i was not aware of this, infacts it defeats the object of me going on a monthly contract and paying more each month, not to mention i am on primier and recieve crap speeds.
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There's no problem supplying an LLU MAC, we have been supplying them for a long time. However, until last month the migration process itself was a trial and only certain ISPs were taking part in this trial. The trial is now a live process which all ISPs can use, however you should still check with the new ISP if they know how to process an LLU migration.
N/A

could you let me which isps are participating, 'certain' could mean just PN
loftrat
Grafter

could you let me which isps are participating, 'certain' could mean just PN

[...]The trial is now a live process which all ISPs can use, however you should still check with the new ISP if they know how to process an LLU migration.

Sounds like you're better off contacting the ISP you're thinking of moving to and asking them if they know how to process the migration.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Every ISP has the ability to place an LLU migration order, which choose not to, I don't know and as loftrat says it's probably best asking the ISP you want to move to. So long as they know how to place the order (which they can easily find out from BT Wholesale or their account manager if they've not done it before) there shouldn't be a problem.
N/A

having made some phone calls, not many companies know what an LLU mac code is, i phoned 3 so far, DEMON dont do them, NEWNET do do them, BT say they don't use the code they will just get rid of the LLU and transfer the line.

Not many BT staff know they purchased PN
sam
Grafter

It is entirely up to the service provider as to if they wish to accept an LLU mac code.

I have placed a lot of orders for LLU in to us and this is no more difficult than placing a regular order.

BT out-source quite a lot of their call centres, so it may be that the people that you have spoken to, do not actually work for BT and this explains why they will not have any information on the acquisition of Plusnet.
N/A

I have placed a lot of orders for LLU in to us and this is no more difficult than placing a regular order.

There is one major difference. Moving from LLU to BT or another LLU require rejumpering in the exchange. Whilst mirgratig from ISP to ISP when on BT probably does not necessiate jumpering changes. Hence the former is more expensive in BT labour than the latter.

So the question is: Does LLU migration cost more than the £14.99, which is the cost for normal migration?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

BT Wholesale will charge the gaining ISP £40+VAT (the same as a new activation) for an LLU to IPStream/Datastream migration against £11+VAT for an IPStream to IPStream migration.

How an individual ISP will cover that cost or charge the customer will of course differ from ISP to ISP.