cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC keys and Connection Charges.

N/A

If I get my MAC from PN, do I still need to pay a connection charge with a new ISP?
11 REPLIES
willhome
Grafter

no, can't say that I have checked all companies but i have yet to see one charge when they have a mac key
N/A

nope migration is usually free, but obviously if you require changes in the service (i.e. higher speeds, new equiptment) then you'll need to pay some setup fees.
N/A

It seems BT charge the new ISP £11 odds but haven't seen one yet that pases it on directly.
N/A

Plusnet does Cheesy

Admittedly it is waived if you stay 12 months.
Dan
Grafter

Re: MAC keys and Connection Charges.

If I get my MAC from PN, do I still need to pay a connection charge with a new ISP?

Is there anything in particular that is making you consider leaving? I know I'm opening myself up for a hammering by asking but if I don't ask then I won't know if I can help.

Regards,

Dan Kirkland
PlusNet Staff
N/A

Sorry to jump in, but it's probably the same reason a few others have left and the reason why I will be if the problems are nothing to do with my exchange being red.

Emails being delivered over a week after being sent.
P2P usage severely restricted whether it's Peak or Off Peak.
FTP that slow it's not worth using.
General web browsing pointless because pages time out, or take a few minutes to download.

I don't play games on my PC so can't comment on that, but I did download a demo game on my 360 and it was only about 30Mb but took over 45 minutes to complete.

I'm not a heavy downloader, the most I have ever used in a month is 17GB and average just over 9GB, (This is peak and off peak together).
N/A

Is there anything in particular that is making you consider leaving? I know I'm opening myself up for a hammering by asking but if I don't ask then I won't know if I can help.

Regards,

Dan Kirkland
PlusNet Staff

Can't fault the guy...
I have been with plusnet less than 1 month and I am on DSLMax.
i.e. - upto 8Mb

my current stable rate is 500kbps (less than 1/2 meg)
I live 0.6 km from my exchange and was more or less promised 5.5Mb plus..
I have tried email after email, posting in the forums etc. and still nothing ...
PN customer service is probably the worst i have come across, well my experience of them is, but then again maybe it would be better if you could ACTUALLY talk to someone.

I am looking at leaving myself, this has been the most un-enjoyable month with ANY ISP i have ever been with and i have been with plenty over the last 10 years.. (dial up, ISDN, Cable, ADSL)

I would love to stay as i really do like Plusnets terms etc they suit me.
but come on 1/2 a Meg...Sorry not acceptable.

Dean :x
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 3

I have tried email after email, posting in the forums etc. and still nothing ...

Have you changed any wiring or plugged something new into your phone line recently? BT have dumped your bRAS down to 500 on Nov the 5th which would explain your speed drop! Liam is wooshing your line as I type. (although BT seem to be having issues today....)

Have you been losing sync recently?
N/A

Hi Dan,

I'm still holding out to see if things improve for the time being, but I REALLY don't like all this 'shaped' traffic nonsense. I'm a very low user (i.e. les than 4 Gb). Even though I get good sync and good stable rate, my download speeds just make the whole thing boring.

Personally, I don't want all my traffic throttled back so that some other users can browse more quickly.

Having experienced a colleague's 2mb broadband connection (mine should be faster being MAX'd up), his is literally flying compared to this - and I don't mean just for browsing.

To be honest, I don't think web browsing should be that high up on the priority list anyway. How big is your average web-page? Browsing at dial-up speeds is usually sufficient (obviously it depends on the content of the site, but you get what I mean).

I've noticed a lot of other ISPs are offering un-throttled connections (at much lower prices I might add, albeit with less core bandwidth). Maybe the problem is to do with the level of contention - too many users on Plusnet? I don't know.

I've been a happy Plusnet customer (quite a rare thing by the sounds of things) for a few years, but I have noticed the grass is looking very very green elsewhere. Just wondering if whether it might be time for a change?

Is it possible to 'opt out' of using the throttled back thing? I want ALL my network traffic (including psp, ftp, browsing etc.) to go as fast as available bandwidth will allow... If it slows down too much, then there isn't enough bandwidth which means time to move to a less contended ISP, or to see whether Plusnet pull their finger out.
N/A

Have you tried web browsing at dialup speeds recently?
N/A

Have you changed any wiring or plugged something new into your phone line recently? BT have dumped your bRAS down to 500 on Nov the 5th which would explain your speed drop! Liam is wooshing your line as I type. (although BT seem to be having issues today....)

Have you been losing sync recently?

I haven't noticed a loss of sync, it has dropped though from when i first signed up from 7.2mb to around 4.8ish..
I have nothing new on my phone line.
I am still showing 500kbps as of today (saturday).
how long does it take to get me back up ??
I had ordered a router which came day before yesterday, I was getting sync of around 6-7Mb with that but could not get any web pages etc through internet explorer so I have sent it back as faulty and another should be here this week.

Thanks....Dean