cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC code

N/A

MAC code

I have been trying to leave PlusNet for about 4 months now, but couldn't get any answer to my emails, the telephone service is crapp (I might as well shout from my front door) eventually I got 2 emails after writing to them at sheffield.
It now seems that they want to charge me £50.99 to send me the code.
Has anyone else even heard of this? It was not mentioned when I signed up. Or are they just pissed of because I have threatened to get the OFT involved.
13 REPLIES
N/A

MAC code

If you signed up for a deal where you get free connection and/or modem, the costs for both of these are deferred and paid off by Plusnet at a fixed amount per month.
If you leave before these items are paid for in full, you have to pay the outstanding balance.
If it is this which they are asking you to pay, it is in the conditions upon signing up and opting for the free installation/harware options.
Community Veteran

MAC code

sounds like your on a yearly contract and going by your join date you still have another 5months of your contract, to request your mac key will mean that you are terminating your contract early and by contract have to pay for the rest of the year.

you will also have to pay any migrations fees if you migrated to PN and chose deferred migration/activation and also pay for any hardware that PN gave you.

This is standard practice and is also in the T&Cs which you accepted
N/A

MAC key reply

No I am not on an annual account. If I was I would keep my mouth shut until my period was up. I know that there is a surcharge of £14 something, but under no circumstances am I paying £50.99.
I would stay with PlusNet but their after sales service and treatment of their customers has a lot to be desired.
Try sending an email to suport, or try ringing them, I ended up finding their address through comany houseHuhHuh? before I got a reply. Goto http://www.weedug.plus.com to see the emails that I recieved.
Cheers
JonathanW
Grafter

MAC code

If you've migrated into a Premier account on a monthly contract, £36 of the cancelation fee could be from an offer we ran recently. Whereby you could migrate in and pay £10 a month for the first three months, but if you left within a certain time had to pay this back.
N/A

MAC code

To John,
Sorry, but no mention of that was ever shown on site or even mentioned until now. Why was this not refered to in all the times I have been trying to contact PlusNet? With all the time wasting going on , I will have been with PlusNet for eons, or so it seems :-) :? and all this will have been a waste of time, or is this what is really wanted?
Cheers
N/A

Mac code costs

Once more I have tried to contact PlusNet about this £50.99 charge and once more I have had the magical automated responce but no replyHuh/""!!! No wonder I don't think much of them. If they want to keep me on untill they get their money back as suggested, then that must mean that my monthly cost must come down after these costs have been made. It must also means that regular customers who pay the same fees as me must be being overcharged! Think about it.
N/A

Mac key

PlusNet has contacted me by phone and the outcome is worse than I thought.

It seems that I got a rebate of £36.00 after 3 months (which was the con to get us to sign on) and it seems that this money has to be repaid.
So my 3 months at a discount was a lie and was only there to get me in to the fold of PlusNet.
This rebait has to be repaid by the customer at the rate of 20% per year, or paid in full at leaving.
That means that PlusNet want to enjoy my company so much that they want to keep me for another 4yrs and 4 months. (very nice of them).
SO ALL YOU CUSTOMERS WHO SIGNED ON FOR THAT GREAT DEAL - BEWARE - YOU ARE NOW PlusNetters for the nex 4yrs.
craign
Grafter

MAC code

do you mean you didn't see any t's and C's like this?

Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.

For every year you stay with PlusNet we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

which is a current deal. How much did you pay for activation?
JonathanW
Grafter

MAC code

Actually, weedug is refering to the Broadband Premier £9.99 offer we ran towards the end of last year. The appropriate terms and conditions for this are available here and explain how the offer works when it comes to the £36 rebate.
N/A

MAC code

It all seems pretty clear and straight - forwards.
I have signed people up to both deals in the past, both rebate and you stay we pay offers.
I had read the conditions, and looked carefully at what the costs would be, and thought that they were made pretty clear.

I don't think its true to say that people are forced to stay for 5 years, you have the option to pay the fee's up front, which allow you to leave whenever you want. Alternatively, you opt to pay for the fee's upon leaving, and PN reduce the fee's the longer you stay.
Its a pretty fair way of doing things, but as with all contracts, its very important to read them carefully, and enter into them with eye's wide open.
:shock:
Perhaps the best thing to bear in mind when reading any contract, is the old adage, "There's no such thing as a free lunch" All companies want to make money, so any time a company appears to be giving you something for free, you need to check what they want back to balance it.
N/A

MAC key

sallyandjames are quite right "There is no such thing as a free lunch" and their reply does seem to be a bit strange. It's as though it was PlusNet replying to my concrerns. I say this because I've waited 2 weeks to see what replies I would get and theirs is the only one in all that time. Funny how it should come within 24 hours of me getting a phone call from PlusNet and having the answers that PlusNet should have supplied. Please accept my appologies if you are not connected to PlusNet in any way.
It has been pointed out by PlusNet that the £50 is for the £36 enticement fee and £20 for a further months fee. So much for their £36 rebate. it goes to show how the use of the English language can be used to say one thing and yet hidden away in small print, it means another.
N/A

MAC code

OK, you got me - I am connected to Plusnet.
I have a Netgear DG834GT connected to them. Wink

Seriously though, I have no connection with PN, I just happen to use them to supply many staff with ADSL, my main business's ADSL, for friends and family and my own connection at home, thus I've had to wade through the T's and C's on many occasions.

I also post on this forum fairly often, and read a lot of input from other people too, so perhaps have a tendancy to come up with similar answers to those supplied by many others.
N/A

MAC code

Have to say that there was a lot of debate a while back (15 months ?) when the website was updated to say about "Free" connection (because the note that it was "you stay, we pay" was not immediately obvious).

Yes, true that people must carefully read T+C of any special offers, but it seemed a lot less straightforward than some ISPs make it, given the 5 years time period to wipe out the cost, compared with 1 year for many others, where they also "absorb" the initial cost. (Then there are some which also do dodgy things, like state the contract term is only 1 month, but have a "sting in the tail" of an admin fee of 50 quid to cover the activation... I accept they need to get it paid, but by stating a 1 month contract give the wrong impression, IMO).

I suppose I'd need to have kept some PDFs of the website to compare "before" and "after" but I think some changes were made after a lot of comments, because hiding things in small print is away from the "open and honest" approach PN has been suggesting for some time now. It's unfortunate that when these fees do need paying, they seem to add up to more than a round down the pub, and annoy users quite a lot when they feel "stung".