cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Requested - how long?

canny
Grafter

Sadly it's all too much for me - I can't bear to be ignored by support any longer and moments ago I requested my MAC with a view to moving to Nildram.

I've been on dial-up for over a week now, I don't consider this acceptable when I'm paying for 2mb ADSL and I certainly don't like it when the support team ignore my plea for help / feedback / anything. I know some of you have been waiting even longer, I can't believe how patient you are.

So I'm off..... what sort of lead time am I looking at to get my MAC? I know it says 7 days but the same website also says support calls are answered quickly and PlusNet users are happy..,... *sigh*

Is there anyone here who can push this through for me?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Good luck with that canny, can see me doing the same, business is suffering real bad and as yet have not really hurd anything from "Support" since monday last week.

think plus net might be going down.....
N/A

I requested a MAC a couple of weeks ago.

Within 12hrs I had received it.

TBH I have never had a problem with support, sometimes though we have to see if the grass is greener and signing up to a 12mths contract is not really that long especially at my age as the weeks fly Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
canny
Grafter

I had a telephone call from a chap at PlusNet 30 mins ago to discuss my request - he had noticed my open fault call and wanted to see if we could sort that before going ahead with the MAC.

Sadly his only option at this stage is to refer the problem to their supplier again and wait 72 hours for a response... I've asked for them to do this but to progress the MAC at the same time, we'll see which comes first Sad

'LCP no response'
canny
Grafter

Why can't it be easy?

We are sorry that you wish to close your account. The following details provide the information you require in order for your request to be completed:

- A MAC codecannot be generated as you are on our alternative broadband supplier. As such, I would need to schedule the account for cancellation.

- Your account has been scheduled for a downgrade to a free account on 28-08-2006
N/A

I was under the impression that LLU <-> BT MAC's had now been put into place.

Reference: this forum thread, within it confirmed by James Bailey.
canny
Grafter

Community Veteran

While you can now get a MAC for an LLU line, not all ISPs support it for migration purposes. As PN were part of the trial they obviously can use it to move people back to IPstream, it may not be the case with Nildram or other ISPs.

All I can suggest is you contact your propsective ISP and see if they support MAC migrations in from LLU to IPstream (or whatever type you want to move to). If they do, request an LLU MAC from PN and pass it to your new ISP.

Also FYI, LLU -> IPStream migrations still involve a cease and reprovide (albeit a quick one) and thus incur an activation cost from BT. Currently PN I believe are covering this cost when moving customers back to IPstream and I'm not sure what happens when migrating to another ISP. PN have stated users will not be out of pocket so I would expect PN to cover the costs when migrating as well but you do need to check this.
N/A

Where has accountability gone to? @canny is leaving because he has lost his adsl connection. PN is informing him that as he has been LLU'ed and that they have to do a cancellation.

Is it a coincidence that @canny been LLU and he has lost his connection? If so PN should be going back to their alternative Broadband supplier and telling them to return @canny to his previous connection as they have not fulfilled their obligation.
N/A

When you are eventually issued with your MAC, the only way of knowing I guess is to try it. I suppose a competent ISP such as Nildram will accept LLU mac's, which can only be a good omen (apart from Plusnet, of course..).

Best of luck.

PS I understand you probably havent changed any settings but the LLU'd network is more fussy about consumer equipment settings than BT Wholesale are. A common issue for connectivity problems post LLU switchover is LLC multiplexing is specified instead of VC, and PPPoE instead of PPPoA.
canny
Grafter

The frustrating things for me:

1. I'd be more than happy to return to 2mb with PlusNet, it didn't cause me any issues in the years I've had it (apart from the glitch that screwed Battlefield 2 for a while). On the day of the switch to LLU I lost everything, I don't recall asking to be upgraded it was just one of those things in the pipeline that I went along with.

2. I'd be more than happy to spend hours troubleshooting this with a support chap if needed but I seem to be dealing with corporate policy and machines rather than people.

3. At the end of the day I just want a broadband connection, I don't want the hassle of a move but when you see all the other people that have been without for a month it makes you wonder if it's worth hanging around and paying for nothing.

A common issue for connectivity problems post LLU switchover is LLC multiplexing is specified instead of VC, and PPPoE instead of PPPoA.

Interesting, I'm on PPPoA but it was LLC rather than VC - will have a look at this... thanks!
canny
Grafter

ARGH!!!!!

It's bloody working now!!!! Thanks fella!

That's all it was, the VC thing!!!

Crikey what do I do now?
canny
Grafter

MAC request cancelled - they are on their last chance though.....
N/A

Good stuff Cool A lot of us have been waiting many years for LLU, so count yourself lucky Wink
Mand
Grafter

Hi

I've responded to your open tickets, and have raised the settings issue internally. We do specify this in the automated faults checker but I think it should be more prominent.

I would like to apologise for the fact that this was not picked up and resolved for you earlier.