cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Numbers

Brian_E
Grafter

MAC Numbers

I see references to MAC numbers in these and other forums. Are these the same as CBUK numbers which used to be needed to migrate from one ISP to another?

Thanks in advance.

Brian E
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

MAC Numbers

Yes.

You can only migrate with a MAC number now as BT Wholesale no longer accept CBUK nunbers for IPStream migrations. They are still needed for Datastream migrations I believe.

They are issued by the loosing ISP and used by the gaining ISP just like CBUK numbers where, but the difference is a MAC code contains the authorisation for a migration from the loosing ISP (which is why it now only takes 7 days) whereas a CBUK requires the gaining ISP to instruct BT Wholesale to get authorisation from the loosing ISP thus adding many weeks to the migration delay and many lost migration requests in the process.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

MAC Numbers

Hi Brian,

They are similar to CBUK numbers, but aren't the same. A MAC number is pre-authorisation from your existing ISP allowing you to migrate out and can be processed a lot quicker and more efficiently.
Brian_E
Grafter

MAC Numbers

Thanks for the clarification. I can't imagine that I'm going to need one though as I'm very satisfied with the Plus Net service. I'm still getting brief and random disconnections since upgrading to 1MB (as mentioned in my earlier thread) but they are too infrequent to try running trailing cables to the master socket and having to manage without landline phones connected while waiting to see if any disconnections occur. If they start happening more frequently, I'll have to bite the bullet and investigate further (the only thing I have done to date is try by-passing the micro filter).