cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Code

iashton
Grafter

MAC Code

Is there a technical reason that a customer's MAC code cannot be displayed alongside other settings on the 'Connection settings' page of 'My Account'?

If the answer is no then can I suggest that PlusNet consider doing this for all broadband accounts? It would be both a statement of confidence in the quality of their service and as a gesture of goodwill to the suffering customers who post here in desparation when trying to escape.
4 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

MAC Code

A MAC key is only generated on request and has a 'lifetime' of 30 days-- if not used within that time a new one has to be requested
Community Veteran

MAC Code

The MAC key is generated by BT on request by Plusnet so it doesn't exist until you ask for it.

What you suggest is therefore impossible.
iashton
Grafter

MAC Code

Thanks chaps.

I see now the answer is no and that MAC codes are a 'good thing' and not just another way in which PlusNet can frustrate customers.

The Migration Authorisation Code is a one-time [well, 30-day] key used by your new ISP [ie the one that you're migrating to] to prove to BT Wholesale that the migration order is genuine.

It's the BBIP number of your circuit with a few random igits tacked on the end.

It's required so that unscrupulous ISPs can't just migrate your service without your knowledge or consent.
N/A

MAC Code

Tell you what would be useful though:

The script which adds the MAC Codes automatically to accounts, does so on a new ticket, and then closes it.

People looking for a MAC then have to check through closed tickets to find it, unless of course a diligent CS agent has done a ctrl+c/ctrl+v job and added it to the original ticket.

I would like three things to happen to simplify the process:

Firstly, educate all CS agents so that the MAC is always copied into the response to the ticket requesting the MAC.

Secondly, modify the script which adds the closed ticket, in such a way that it adds an open ticket with the MAC instead. (Makes it easier to find if the CS agent forgets to add it as above)

Thirdly, have this open ticket containing the MAC details, set to automatically close after 30 days, rather than the standard 14 days if no response is added.
(keeps it easy to find for the duration of the MAC's lifespan - perhaps 27 days may be more realistic, since the MAC has to be given to the new ISP and then used by them, but you get the point, right?)