cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Code and 30 Days Notice

N/A

Hi,

I know this type of question has been asked before but I would just like a bit of clarification:

After the current P2P debacle as discussed in the other thread, I have been seriously considering jumping ship to another ISP. Now, my billing period starts from the 14th of each month, i.e. I have just started my latest one. If I were to request my MAC code this week, would I have to pay the full £21.99 of the November payment as well (because of the 30 days notice), or will I be able to claim some of that money back?

I just realised that I still have to pay something for the house move I had last year - I was originally under the impression that if I stayed for another year it all disappears... apparrently not. Damn.

Anyway, some clarification on this matter would be greatly appreciated,

Iain
22 REPLIES
N/A

You have to pay all the subscriptions due within the 30 day period, but... If you MAC-out, you can claim it back, if you cancel you can't, apparently...

House moves are spread over 5 years, only a MAC-in is over 1 year.
N/A

well i got my mac code a few days ago so my thinkin is I am billed on the 21st every month and I don't want two ISp bills so I am goin pay next months then jump ship around 10 day later after I am billed and hopefully it work out ok!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

With a migration any subscription fees that are due between the request of the MAC and the migration out completing are taken as normal. It's done that way because we don't set the migration date so don't know how long you'll still be a customer and of course some people will change their minds.

In all cases you have to give 1 month's notice which starts the day you raise the cancellation ticket but if you migrate out having paid for any time after the end of the notice period you haven't used if you raise a ticket we can refund it.
N/A

OK, thanks. So when I MAC out I will still be able to raise tickets on the Plusnet member centre?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, the account is downgraded to a PAYG dial-up account so you can still access the Help Assistant.
N/A

Well I think thats great the way a Plusnet guy wrote back and explained it all!!

I am sorry I am leaving but I do need my USA tv programs!

If it wasnt for Torrent I would stay on no problem!
N/A

You have to contact them and tell them the move has gone ahead and to cancel the account on last billing date --
I searched the forum found that out
N/A

What should I do next (re migrating)

Hi,

I have applied for and got my MAC key

I have signed up for another ISP

I have a move date of 23rd OCT

I have raised a comment on my original get a MAC key Question, telling Plusnet I shall be leaving at around the 23rd October.

No one from Plusnet appears to be looking at my comment.

What is the next step? Is there an official way to tell Plusnet I am leaving and I want my extra days service I have already paid for refunded and I want my personal details including credit card info removed from the Plusnet data base when they have made the refund!

thanks

Patrick
N/A

Hi Dave, I received my mac code on 15th October and my billing date is 31st October. If I leave before 31st October does that mean I will get the full refundHuh
N/A

hmmm a full refund when you got your mac key on the 15th and it takes seven working days to leave plusnet, thats if you signed up to another ISP on the 15th then 24th go live, so you want a refund for 7 days?
N/A

hmmm a full refund when you got your mac key on the 15th and it takes seven working days to leave plusnet, thats if you signed up to another ISP on the 15th then 24th go live, so you want a refund for 7 days?

No matter what they will take payment from 31st October because that falls within the 30 days notice.But if I join my new ISP before that payment is taken, what I want to know is because I will not be using PN after the 31st October will I get that payment backHuh
N/A

Hmm, I read somewhere that the payment is only taken if its due before you leave.

Someone at PN cited an example, whereby a user would only end up paying for a couple of days notice.

IIRC the situation was similar to your suggested one.

I'll dig around for the post and stick a link in here later on.
N/A

OK, Here's the post I was thinking of.
Its on the Usergroup forum, not sure if it was also posted here, but it was faster to find it over there. Wink

In the case of an outbound migration we now downgrade your account as soon as we receive notification that the service has been transferred by BT. No further payments are taken at this point.

And then to clarify, a little later somebody asked:

Reading what you said, it sounds like if someone requests and uses a MAC before there next billing date, they wouldn't be held to the full 30 days notice.

And the reply:

I'll try and explain the MAC key process in a bit more detail...

Imagine a customer whose billing date is the 25th of the month. They request a MAC key on the 1st and the CSC generate this and pass it back to the customer on the 2nd. The cusotmer then passes this to their new ISP who places an order with BT and is advised of a migration completion date of the 18th.

Assuming the migration is successful the customer's service will be switched on the 18th. We receive delta reports form BT advising us when this happens. At worse it will take a day or two before this is parsed by our systems. What happens then is a script is run that automatically downgrades the customer's account to a non-subsription generic services offering. No further payments are taken.

So to clarify what you are probably thinking... In this instance the customer has not provided 30 days notice and neither have they been billed for it all

Its worth reading the full thread (Its not too long I promise) because it also contains some other examples which may help clarify the situation.
N/A

I got a different answer!

Dear Mr Keane,
The payment recently taken constitutes the 30 day notice period, as such no refunds will be applicable.

I have removed your credit card details from your account.

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

My billing date is the 14th Oct
I applied for MAC on the 12th Oct
I joined my new ISP and will migrate on the 23rd Oct Q.V.

Yet another unclear policy interpreted as the whim takes them

thank goodness I am leaving!

Patrick

[Moderator's note by James (sallyandjames): Agents name removed - posting these is not allowed. link:rules ]