Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loyal PN customer paying £21.99 for 512k.noobs- £9.99

jagger
Grafter

Yes I am.I'm still waiting for my free regrade to 2 meg (promised in July...oops,sorry it slipped again) and I see that folk transferring in from say, AOL 2mbit, can get it for £9.99 for the first three months.

Consider the urine extracted.

Plusnet used to be all about looking after the customer.It seems that the times they are a changing.

https://portal.plus.net/products/offer.html?link=res_bb_index is where it's on offer.
18 REPLIES
Golferpete
Grafter

Yes but if you leave within the 12mths you have to pay for the £14.99 you get,so your £9..99 is £15 you have to return to P+N Sad
N/A

Re: Loyal PN customer paying £21.99 for 512k.noobs- £9.99

If it makes you feel any better, that £9.99 offer isn't quite as cut-and-dry as it seems. According to this post, you have to stay with PlusNet for 5 years to get the full benefit of the £9.99/month offer. Otherwise, it just gets taken back upon cancellation.
N/A

Hi there.

If by now, you haven't received your free upgrade, raise a ticket to see what's going on or, if you're reaching desperation, bite the bullet and pay the £14.99 fee.

I've just moved house and I was on 2Mb at the previous address, I have no idea what rate I'll be connected at at my new address, but I fear I may have to part with fifteen quid to get back on the go at the same speed....whatever.

BT, although they're improving, suck fat c**k, and unfortunately, they are ultimately the route of the UK ADSL problems Sad

Jolly good luck to you.
N/A

If by now, you haven't received your free upgrade, raise a ticket to see what's going on or, if you're reaching desperation, bite the bullet and pay the £14.99 fee.

No, sorry, I've taken that a step further. I'm still on 0.5Mbit awaiting a 1Mb connection (since this is all my line can take) and I've been waiting since April. Nothing. So rather than pay £14.99 to get double the speed (on a traffic shaped connection anyway), I've chosen to request my MAC and move onto ZEN instead. A helpful sales rep from ZEN has already informed me that if I call him up and place a migration request, they will do the re-grade for free anyway. PN had their chance for 5 months so enough is enough.

... you have to stay with PlusNet for 5 years to get the full benefit of the £9.99/month offer. Otherwise, it just gets taken back upon cancellation.

"Brand new customers only" as usual. For a company that loves attracting new customers, they seem to have a high drive to retain them when they want to leave. Ever thought about why this is the case? They either do this by having one of their "retentions" team call you up when you are wanting to leave (as happened with me) or they shower you with more bills to pay. When will people wake up and smell the roses?

Of course, the guy from rententions questioned me based on what I had written in my ticket. My excuse was not agreeing to the new terms and conditions but the truth is I haven't even read them - I just mentioned that in the ticket so they would get off my case.

My grudges with PN stem from more than what has happened in the past year. As I have said in previous posts, 4 years ago I was a customer for all of 2 weeks before they cancelled my "unmetered dialup account" and refunded me due to over usage (being dialed up for long periods of time). Where I was working at the time (another local ISP), my boss said "yeah, that sounds about right, they have been having trouble paying their bills". It seems that 4 years down the line, things are no different with the introduction of traffic shaping on broadband accounts. This would suggest a bandwidth capacity problem and any mention of "applying traffic shaping to give high priority to VoIP traffic" is a clever cover up as far as I'm concerned.

And I wonder if PN's staff turnover is as high as their customer turnover at this present moment in time. Based on some stories I've been told by someone who knows someone who used to work here, things aren't too rosey internally just now. Based on the little eye opener he gave me, I do fully appreciate the type of people who are at the top of this organisation, their motives and their morals. As such, I have no further interest in "doing business" with such people.

Good luck to anyone who stays here.
jagger
Grafter

oops,stirred things up again.
what i was meaning to say was that it isn't very impressive to be paying the same as someone on 2mbit when all i can get is 512k until my line is bulk-upgraded.It's been going on since about february,when PN first started winging out emails about "free upgrade"
It isn't going to work out free because of all the 21.99 squids each month for 512k.It is ,however,taking an unseemly amount of time to complete.Fair enough that BT is the main culprit,giving unreasonable expectations without the wherewithall to deliver,but PN ordered this from BT(or did they.they say they did,but isn't this something that BT was told to do by Mr.Guv?).Lets face it,you can't even check up to see how long your exchange will wait for conversion.
I should,on hindsight, have paid the 14.99 and got 2mbit in april,rather than expecting my exchange to be upgraded anytime soon.
And as for the 9.99 bit,that just p*sses me off that PN will hang a carrot in front of newbies but if you've been with them for three + years then you pay for a 2mbit and get 512k.
I'm also embarrassed that i actually referred a member of my own family to PN.I have been a loyal and thoroughly satisfied customer up until this summer but i have been alarmed at some of the stunts that PN have pulled this year.I got conned into changing my old ADSL home contract up to the premier (when i really didn't want to change.) and then i don't get the premier service for several months despite paying the price.I was also perturbed at the change of T's&C's (still haven't managed to read all the way through it,i ain't a lawyer) bandwidth throttling and the reliance on creating an impression of a service rather than creating the service itself.
I also noticed the goalposts move on a couple of other occasions and that has led to an increasing worry about the current PN philosophy (not about the last three years,just this one).
The number of moaning posters has increased exponentially through the summer and look,here's me, a past champion of PN doing it too.There must be some useful information in that for the upper echelons,and they ought to be doing something to get back to that helpful,solid service provider that they used to be.Before it gets too late.

What is the world coming to? (you are going to get caned by a bunch of spivs calling themselves businessman and no.they don't care one little bit.by appointment to the labour capitalist government)

At least England look like winning the Ashes,so that's some consolation.
Community Veteran

To be fair, I pay the same as someone on 2mb, but that's not PN's fault. I just have a line thats only capable of 1mb. I can't really complain to PN about that.

Yes it would be nice to see varying products offered for those that want a premier service, but can't get the highest speed - but I sppose there is such a thing as too many products.

Companies will always try to attract new customers with special offers. Though as others have pointed out, there are strings attached (as there are ith most of these style of offers regardless of the company offering them).

How many times have we bought something ust to see it on special offer some weeks later?

I agree it would be nice for the long standing customers to recieve a benefit once in a while, but thats why I have a Tesco Clubcard. :lol:

As I have stated my concern with this current offer is the number of customers it will attract, and will this lead to further shaping to accomodate them, or will further expansion of the network be undertaken to accomodate them.

It would seem that PN have taken the innitiative to try and seduce more customers in, the ethics of which canbe debated, but the bottom line is they will get more customers. We can just hope that they use the extra revenue to expand, keep the profits the same but expand. However being a plc is this my not be as straightforward it may seem.

With extra revenue, PN could invest in LLU, they could strike up a partnership with an existing LLU provider, the higher speeds could be provided sooner, they couldbe provided to people who on BT's network may not get them. The possibilities are there, but we just have to wait and see what this extra growth will bring.

Heres hoping...
ceridwen
Grafter

Yes but if you leave within the 12mths you have to pay for the £14.99 you get,so your £9..99 is £15 you have to return to P+N Sad

Yes - rather than reward loyalty (ala Eclipse for example http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2378 ), PN's strategy seems to be to punish disloyalty (with migration penalties etc.)

Matthew
jagger
Grafter

Ok,that's fair,I can't blame PN for BT's shortcomings.But PN sold me this as up to 2mbit with a free upgrade of my line to 2mbit under the BT bulk upgrade scheme.Which is obviously covered by the official secrets act as absolutely no information is published about the schedule.All the exchange checker tells me is that my exchange was scheduled for July,then for August, and nothing has happened yet.
With hindsight,or indeed better information from either PN or BT, I would have bitten the 14.95 upgrade bullet months ago(March).Instead,I decided to ride it out until the (top secret) upgrade is done on my line.
Sod's law dictates that should i now pay the 14.95 my line would be done on the bulk upgrade just after the money had been paid.And the law of diminishing returns means it is now not worth pursuing for the same reasons.
Please note that by reading this post you are now bound by the terms of the BT Official Secrets Act and must not discuss this matter even with members of your own family.The future of BT's profits is at stake.

How long will it take to upgrade my line?
Same as a piece of string mate.
:shock:
N/A

They either do this by having one of their "retentions" team call you up when you are wanting to leave (as happened with me) or they shower you with more bills to pay. When will people wake up and smell the roses?

i must be a bad boy - they couldn,t be arsed ringing me just gave me my mac key 24 hrs later. Still at least a decent company will be getting my hard earned cash from now on!
Community Veteran

@jagger, Dave's latest info is the bulk regrades will finish in october with mop ups in november, unfortunatley BT haven't given us another PDF yet.
N/A

The BT bulk upgrade is the cause of much discussion, anger and despair amongst users from all ADSL ISP's.

There's been problems with BTw doing upgrades without checking lines first, then they tightened up the 2Mb requirements. To add to this the greater bandwidth demand by the higher speed lines have raised exchange contention which has required more work to relieve this.

Most ISP's have now gone to the model of upto 2Mb and the actual speed depends on your line. When doing a new provision BTW seem to be putting the highest linespeed possible unless specifically requested. (Most ISP's will throttle your connection to the appropriate speed.

For ISP's which aren't using the up to 2Mb model there have still been outcries about pricing and upgrade delays. For example when the bulk upgrades were announced Pipex revamped their packages. However, for all existing customers they would be charged for the service as if the upgrade had been done. (e.g. charging for 1Mb service even though you had a 512Kb service because you hadn't been upgraded).

While most ISP's are charging roughly cost for the queue jumping fee (~£15) Wanadoo charge £20 so they make a bit of profit out of it.

"Brand new customers only" is a common marketing approach in all industries.
jagger
Grafter

Thanks Daniel,
So is that January or February? :lol:

And more fair points from broontoon.Just modern day living I guess, when we accept that new customers get preferential erm......inducements because it's common amongst marketing folk. Cheesy

What's more depressing is that all we gullibles swallowed all the hype being bandied around at the start of the year,and that's why we are moaning.Not because of any failings on PN's part particularly,but more at the unacceptable state of todays promise it now/apologise later society.

And of course remember,all ye that are packing your MAC codes, one day very shortly you won't be a new customer anymore.Just a customer.Just any old customer at a provider who is interested in new customers only. :shock:

I feel much,much better for having had a moan. And thanks for the fair points raised by all.Very enlightening stuff.I know I'll be getting 2mbit shortly (local 40 or under,and a 35.5 SNR should be ok) but you really can't beat a good grizzle once in a while,even at a lowly 512.(why does that make me laugh? 56k anyone?) :mrgreen:
N/A

Re: Loyal PN customer paying £21.99 for 512k.noobs- £9.99

Yes I am.I'm still waiting for my free regrade to 2 meg (promised in July...oops,sorry it slipped again) and I see that folk transferring in from say, AOL 2mbit, can get it for £9.99 for the first three months.

Consider the urine extracted.

Plusnet used to be all about looking after the customer.It seems that the times they are a changing.

https://portal.plus.net/products/offer.html?link=res_bb_index is where it's on offer.

for a start i have made my feelings about the offer clear....

but if you are a customer already why do you think you should get the offer out of intrest......is it not the same as sky offeing one month 3 months of full package for 10 pound while all the other customers a month back pay full....

it is simply an advertising ploy to gain more customers since you are a customer they dont need to draw you in now do they.

Also the upgrades are no done by plusnet and are controlled by bt by the way they set the agreement up i believe if you are fed up waiting or require a speed increase now it only cost a little 15 quid to do it.
jagger
Grafter

Oh dear,
If thats what a university education does for you..............

but if you are a customer already why do you think you should get the offer out of intrest......is it not the same as sky offeing one month 3 months of full package for 10 pound while all the other customers a month back pay full

who said anything about me expecting to get the offer? I merely pointed out that I'm paying full whack.As it has been helpfully pointed out that the offer is simply eye candy anyway .........

it is simply an advertising ploy to gain more customers since you are a customer they dont need to draw you in now do they.

No they don't.But they do need to keep loyal customers......or they could end up in a never ending series of swapping customers who nip off to get the best deal of the month (a bit like the credit card balance transfer scenario) I consider that particular tactic to be self defeating.True,all modern purveyors consider the "customer is there to be taken" but maybe a nod should be given to the "customer is king" attitude of bygone days.It may pay off long term.

Also the upgrades are no done by plusnet and are controlled by bt by the way they set the agreement up i believe if you are fed up waiting or require a speed increase now it only cost a little 15 quid to do it.

and I said..
Ok,that's fair,I can't blame PN for BT's shortcomings.But PN sold me this as up to 2mbit with a free upgrade of my line to 2mbit under the BT bulk upgrade scheme.Which is obviously covered by the official secrets act as absolutely no information is published about the schedule.All the exchange checker tells me is that my exchange was scheduled for July,then for August, and nothing has happened yet.
With hindsight,or indeed better information from either PN or BT, I would have bitten the 14.95 upgrade bullet months ago(March).Instead,I decided to ride it out until the (top secret) upgrade is done on my line.
Sod's law dictates that should i now pay the 14.95 my line would be done on the bulk upgrade just after the money had been paid.And the law of diminishing returns means it is now not worth pursuing for the same reasons.

I also said..
And as for the 9.99 bit,that just p*sses me off that PN will hang a carrot in front of newbies but if you've been with them for three + years then you pay for a 2mbit and get 512k.

And what's wrong with being p*ssed off from time to time? I did say I just came in for a whinge,but now I've had a good laugh too.Thanks. :lol: