cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low stable rate

N/A

Low stable rate

(btw I have already posted a ticket about this. PN are apparently looking into it as of last Saturday).

I was upgraded to 8mb last month, and PN confirm that BT is supplying 8mb connection to my number, however PN are limiting my service to 2mb, which is reflected when I check the stable rate (2000).

Has anyone else had this issue? The nature of the reply to my ticket would indicate this is not a common occurrence, as they had no information as to what the problem might be, or indeed when it might be sorted.

regards

flares
36 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Low stable rate

Hi there.

It is a slightly odd one, as you've had an 8mbps profile with BT for quite some time, but at our end we do not appear to have received a delta report.

I'll try to get it looked into for you asap.
N/A

Low stable rate

I'm on the same sort of limiting system because the line can't handle it, you're lucky - you're getting double the speeds I am!

It all depends on how far you are from the exchange and the quality of the line and is beyone Plusnet's control. Last week, they knocked my connection right back and tried gradually increasing it to see what was the highest speed I could connect at - 500kbps was slow and stable, 1mbps was faster(ish) and stable, 2mpbs and the surfing speeds were flying along (compared to what I'm used to) but the connection was off more often than it was on. It's all down to the limiting speed of the copper phone line to your house that determines the maximum stable rate.

Or so my basic understanding of the internet goes.
N/A

Low stable rate

My house is approx 100 metres from the exchange, so I'm not sure why there would be an issue. Admittedly I'm not very up on comms tech.
James
Grafter

Low stable rate

The issue is a special report that we get from BT that tells us what they have restricted your speeds to. We haven't yet received this report and as such, we haven't made any changes to your speed profiling.

Like I've said, I'm currently trying to chase this for you.
N/A

Low stable rate

Err, dunno!

Tongueass to Plusnet Brainiac:
N/A

Low stable rate

Certainly seems to pay to post on the forums rather than use official ticket system, although I like the SMS messaging idea.

Thanks James, much appreciated.

flares
N/A

Low stable rate

I have been having the same problem.

It's been almost a month since I was migrated to 8meg broadband and whle my router shows my line speed as 8148kbps and the BT speedchecker says my line is running at around 7meg there has been no change in my BRAS speed profile. I'm still stuck down at 2000kbps. I've raised this problem with PLUSnet and have been told that its a system wide problem with their 8meg upgrade process. I'm still hoping to increase my speed soon.
James
Grafter

Low stable rate

Yup, as you mentioned there are a couple of issues going on currently.

Firstly, we don't appear to be getting as many delta reports as we would like to be, meaning that we aren't notified which speed we should be profiling you at.

Secondly, magic button (hallowed be it's name) has been removed as it (or rather I) was compounded the peak time speed issues (don't ask) and we're currently awaiting development to roll out a fix that'll allow us to manually change the profiled speeds. This is currently expected this week.
N/A

Low stable rate

What is (or was) magic button? Is it where you can manualy sort all my problems out in one go?
James
Grafter

Low stable rate

Magic Button would allow me to set the profiling at our end to 'full line rate' thus removing any profiling at the end. Apparently it also caused some issues with how the traffic was prioritised.

Probably also a reason why I was able to get 7mbps on P2P for awhile.
N/A

Low stable rate

I assume this won't be solving my speed problems anyday soon then?
James
Grafter

Low stable rate

Speaking to the person responsilbe at this end, we should be able to manually change your profile next week, hopefully on Monday.
N/A

Low stable rate

from reading that, I say bring back the magic button !!! :lol:
N/A

Low stable rate

me too Smiley

But Monday would still be awesome

thanks for all your help James

flares