cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low modem sync speed

N/A

Low modem sync speed

Hi,

I've just got BB+ having been using it at my parents house for a few months and been very happy with it. I'm using EXACTLY the same setup as at home yet here my router (Netgear DG834G) syncs at 1.1Mbit instead of 2.2Mbit.

Should I be calling BT about this? I am assuming that it's either that I'm too far away from the exchange, which I doubt because I'm pretty much in the centre of Norwich. Or the other option is that the wiring in my house (Rented!) is bringing in too much noise for a 2Mbit connection.

My Line attenuation is 55db and Noise margin is 20db, could it be that the problem is in my master phone socket, it looks pretty old.

Thanks in Advance

Mark Baguley
4 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Low modem sync speed

Hi,

I would suspect the reason for the line being at 1Mbps is that line attenuation figure. For 2Mbps this needs to be below 43dB, at 55dB it is quite a way outside the limit.
N/A

Low modem sync speed

Yeah, I've just been looking at info on the attenuation figures and came to the same conclusion, although I did also find that i'm only 1.5km from the exchange, guess it's BT's crap wiring from the 1800s thats slowing me down!!

Cheers,

Mark
N/A

Low modem sync speed

So is there any point in pestering BT to try and fix it, or will I just be wasting my time, and most probably my money?
Community Veteran

Low modem sync speed

There is nothing you can do about line attenuation. What you have is what you are stuck with I'm afraid. Just be glad you don't have my line stats 62dB and 9dB SNR which is only good enough for 512K max . Sad