cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed

N/A

Low Speed

Hi I am its only been a day or so since I have started using my dslConnect 150.

I am getting very low speed and I done a speed test and its reading as 31.3kbps.

Even dialups faster than that... so what the hell is going on?
10 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

Low Speed

Which speed test have you done and are you certain you are not getting confused between kilobits and kilobytes. Your connection is rated at 150Kilobits per second which is the same as 18.75Kilobytes per second.
N/A

Low Speed

Nope trust me I aint mixed them two things up. I am using the speed test which is found on the portal under connection settings.

Moderators note (John) Full quote from predeeding post removed. Please only use quotes as they are intended. That is to highlight a part of a post so that it is clear what you are replying to. There is no need to quote a post in its entirety unless it is a long way back in the thread or on an earlier page.
Community Veteran

Low Speed

Try ADSLguide speedtest and see if it is any different. Try it several times to get an average.

Is your exchange amber or red - see http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Have you tried different MTU/RWIN values to see if it is any better? Try the MTU tweak thread in ADSL and broadband forum for details.

Have you got ALL phones, faxes, sky boxes etc connected through an ADSL filter/splitter? Do you also use a filter/splitter for the ADSL modem? If not try one.

If not connected to your BT master socket, try that and see if it is any better? If it is then an internal wiring problem may be the cause.

Is it any better if ALL phones, faxes, sky boxes are unplugged? i.e. you only have the ADSL modem connected and nothing else.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Low Speed

Hi,

The fault reporting template also has some useful tests you can try that might find the cause of the speed issue.
N/A

Low Speed

Just to note to you guys. The exchange checker on the usertools site, only applies to IPStream based products.

This means DSLConnect is not included.
Ianwild
Grafter

Low Speed

We will need to log this as a fault with the Datastream providers if the problem continues. They are normally pretty good at fixing such things, but the nature of Datastream, which all < 512K products are provided over, is that it is more likely that local exchange contention issues will play a part in the speed of your connection.

As I say, it can probably be fixed, but we will need your help in collecting all the data we need to pass the fault to the suppliers.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Low Speed

Hi Ian

I'll see if this problem still goes on within the next few days if so I'll do an ADSL Speed Problem Report Template and send it in.

Would that help?

Moderators note (John) Full quote of previous post removed AGAIN (see above)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Low Speed

Hi,

The more data you can supply the easier it will be to find the cause of the speed issue, so yes the template will help.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, we'll also need a speed test result from this site for a Datastream fault.
N/A

Low Speed

Have you tried different MTU/RWIN values to see if it is any better? Try the MTU tweak thread in ADSL and broadband forum for details.

Whats all that about... as I am new I dont have a clue what this MTU/RWIN stuff is.
Community Veteran

Low Speed

Did you actually read the MTU Tweak thread? It explains what to do.

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) value defines the amount of data that can be sent in a single packet over the internet (data is sent in groups of characters called packets). All data like the contents of a web page are sent in multiple packets to you and the MTU value determins how many packets it takes to send that information.

RWIN (receive Window) size determins how much data (in packets) your system can receive before it gets an achnowldgement to confirm the data has been sent successfully. Sometimes a small value can improve the overall throughput (spped) of you internet connection and sometimes a larger value can.