cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of incomplete articles with Plusnet Usenet servers

N/A

Anyone else notice a huge number of incomplete articles today? Binaries posted today are simply not on the server
154 REPLIES
N/A

You'll find that most ISP's usenet feeds are incomplete. At least all the ISP's I have ever used from the days of the lowly dial-up days Smiley

There are usenet feeds that you can subscribe to that have nearly 100% binary files. However they charge a monthly fee, and limit the download per month.

Easy News is one such feed, they average around 98% completion.
Community Veteran

This is unusual for plusnets usenet service since they had a major hardware/software upgrade a few months back as they usually manage at least 5 days binary retension.

Not sure who's looking after usenet now Ben has left so let' s see if anyone else is seeing lost messages. Can you post some example groups where you are seeeing this - it may also be worth posting on plusnet.service.customer-feedback if you have not done so already.
N/A

You'll find that most ISP's usenet feeds are incomplete. At least all the ISP's I have ever used from the days of the lowly dial-up days Smiley

There are usenet feeds that you can subscribe to that have nearly 100% binary files. However they charge a monthly fee, and limit the download per month.

Easy News is one such feed, they average around 98% completion.

I was with easynews upto yesterday when I cancelled. I cancelled because plusnets servers were actually pretty good and I could reconstruct missing files with par files.

However today there are posts being made with huge groups of missing articles. These are not 2-3 days old these were posted today.
N/A

Not sure who's looking after usenet now Ben has left so let' s see if anyone else is seeing lost messages. Can you post some example groups where you are seeeing this - it may also be worth posting on plusnet.service.customer-feedback if you have not done so already.

alt.binaries.multimedia is one of the groups with huge missing articles. The weird thing is they were there as the news reader I use (Grabit) would not have listed them as complete, however when I goto download them a lot of them seem to have disapeared.
N/A

I wrote a script to investigate the problem of headers listing non-existant articles. The output of my script (and the damning results!) are here:

http://www.radix.plus.com/missing-articles.txt

I've raised ticket 13830721 which is being "passed for further investigation"...
N/A

Hmm, just ran my script again:

http://www.radix.plus.com/missing-articles-20040928.txt

There is clearly a major issue here with the Usenet servers. Is noone from support willing to acknowledge this?
lhorwath
Grafter

hi Oliver,

I raised a problem on this last night which was closed today as testing showed complete threads. I must admit I was downloading from home last night and had no problems downloading at all.

I have however reopened the problem. I have included your ticket ID and this thread, so if you want to add more info then excellent.
N/A

I have however reopened the problem. I have included your ticket ID and this thread, so if you want to add more info then excellent.

More info? That log file I created speaks for itself. Messages higher than the lowest article number are not present on the server. What more info do you need?
N/A

Here's another 1,000 missing articles for today.

http://www.radix.plus.com/missing-articles-20040929.txt
N/A

While my ticket is bouncing around departments, here's another 1,000 missing articles for today.

http://www.radix.plus.com/missing-articles-20040930.txt
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Oliver,

The network guys have identified the cause of the problem and are currently working on the solution. Should be sorted later this morning.
N/A

sync problem

Hi,

Articles expire off the spools based on size, however they expire from the readers based on time (plus, a list of message-id that the spool has expired).
The readers only expire articles once a day, overnight, to avoid problems whilst the spools are expiring each hour.

If you check the first articles you will always find a few of them (I would say 1000) that there are not available. A good news reader should allow you to configure this behaviur.

I am trying to expire manually the oldest articles and get readers and spools on sync today but this problem will reappear. There is nothing to worry about.

Sergio.
N/A

Re: sync problem

If you check the first articles you will always find a few of them (I would say 1000) that there are not available.

You would say 1,000? What would you say if I just counted 10,000 missing articles then?

http://www.radix.plus.com/missing-articles-20040930-10000.txt
N/A

Re: sync problem

Sorry, thats what I wanted to say. It is not a big number if we consider the amount of articles per binary group. And probably you will find out that they are the first 10000 arts in the group.
You will see the difference when the expiring process has finished.