cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost my mind! nearly migrated to NTL

N/A

Having recently considered migrating over to NTL (sorry plusnet!) because of the new connection speeds etc. it made me realise how other companies really do not value their customers like plusnet does. I mean with NTL i couldnt even get passed the sign up process coz i keep getting "error on page" messages I have registered a complaint but have not yet got a reply.
The thing about you guys is your customer services are simply the best in the business, every problem I have raised has been replied to in under an hour and sorted within just a few minutes usually. Any one considering going with plusnet really should just for this reason, the staff are very helpful, efficiant and friendly.
The only problem is BT, and the sky high prices they enforce. I still havent been able to scrape together the 65 quid to move my ADSL (currently crawling the web with 56k, yuk!)
Well not really alot of point to this post, just a hearty "well done" for the plusnet team and a middle finger for NTL and BT :twisted: and can you move my ADSL for free? Pleeeeeease? :lol:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

So your were not aware of the contention issues that the increased speeds have introduced, and the fact that NTL do not guarantee any of their speeds for their connections?

In many instances, I have seen a 600K NTL cable connection has been much slower than a 512K ADSL connection, with the actual achievable speed over an extended period beening very much lower than the constant speeds possible on ADSL..

It's not just the support side you need to be aware of - cable can be a much more contended service than ADSL..
N/A

Yeah i have just been reading about that in some of the posts here.

I'm on NTL right now at work and I would say it feels faster than the ADSL plusnet pump thru my fone line and they are both 512K, i dont think this connection has been upgraded to the new speeds yet but it is still noticeably faster than my ADSL line at home. I have not run any tests on speed but files download faster and the web radio i listen to hardly ever stops to buffer, which is does on my ADSL line.

Saying that howeva my boss has loads more problems with this connection than i do with my plusnet one and it does sometimes slow to a crawl for no reason, but when its working properly it is definitley faster.
Community Veteran

The contention depends on how many other people on your same cable run:

- have internet services
- are using the connection and if they are heavy users or not.

You get many connections, all accessing BBCi's Olympics broadband coverage and watch your speeds take a nosedive.

There will be areas where contension is not an issue, but there are many areas where it is, and the faster speeds will just make those areas worse.
N/A

Yeah so basically NTL are insane.
So the numbers are bigger but its not actually any faster, so they just upped the speeds so they could write 750k instead of 512k on their adverts, so that means all the customers already with them will have notciable drops in speed?
Well now that i have recovered fully from my temporary insanity i reckon i'll stick with plusnet, i am truly sorry my loyalty has wavered, :lol:
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

I am afraid we cannot waive the reconnection fee of £64.63 .. to do so would wipe off any profit on your account for a while, since the margins are pretty slim on ADSL.

Regards,
N/A

really? i thort it would fine to give me free stuff, im a really great person honest. :lol: Nah, I woz joking neway.
Altho last time I woz bitchin about the cost of relocating ADSL someone said you were "in discussion" with BT about lowering costs, getting anywhere with that?
Im still counting the pennies, hopefully i will be able move my ADSL very soon coz 56k is driving me mad, how the hell did we all manage to use that for such a long time? an 8mb dl took me 40, yes 40 minutes!
jberry
Grafter

Well, we have been dropping hints that the setup costs are the major restricting factor in the growth of broadband in the UK - I think discussions is probably the wrong word. With extended reach coming in September BT will be sending out more engineers as well - making the average installation cost for BT increase - so we will see if the prices do drop.

Regards,
N/A

Since registering with PlusNet Broadband I have only one concern. It takes at least 10 tries every time I log-on. Each time I get "Page unavailable" until, eventually, I get in. This happens during the day and evening. This is frustrating if I'm in a hurry to send an email, etc.