cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost email and domain access due to PlusNet renewal system

N/A

One of our major business domains (on another PlusNet account) expired on the 15th February. PlusNet apparently sent a single notification by email (which we may or may not have received) saying there was no credit card to renew the domain. No further follow up email was sent saying we still hadn't paid, or that they were about to stop hosting the domain.

As of today (19th February), our domain points to 'somewhere else', and we believe all our incoming email is going 'somewhere else'. PlusNet originally told me it was queued on their servers, now they think it may be lost.

This all happened because PlusNet sent a single email, with no follow up when the domain renewal was not paid. I would have thought it was in PlusNet's interest to be helpful to its customers, and try to get them to renew domains. Given the amount of junk mail in circulation, sending a single email reminder for something which has such fundamental consequences if it gets mislaid seems to me to show an incredibily poor degree of care to its customers.

By PlusNet's rules (as explained by the help desk), it appears we are totally in the wrong, and if they send a single email which we don't respond to, they will just allow the domain to lapse. Does anyone feel this shows an very poor level of customer service? Anyone from within PlusNet care to comment?

Incidentally, the probable reason we failed to see the email, was that another domain expired around the same time with a different billing issue, and the reminder for the second domain may have been taken as a reminder for the first domain.
8 REPLIES
James
Grafter

I'm not entirely sure how we can be blamed for your not responding to our notice of the domain name expiring. If you're suggesting that we phone everyone that has a pending domain renewal, then this really isn't a feasible option.
theharveyfamily
Grafter

I think you need to consider your own responsibility.

If the domain is important to you, you should be aware of when it expires & ensure you have a valid method of payment.

You wouldn't get very far trying to blame the Department of Transport if your car's MOT ran out or trying to blame the DVLA if your Road Tax reminder got lost in the post.
N/A

James,

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect a second reminder a few days before you turn the lights out? Given that PlusNet have fully automated systems, there is no cost involved for PlusNet except in creating the process.

In our case, it was probably a simple oversight or confusion on our part. I can't believe you are saying that PlusNet are perfect and would never fail to do something when they should? We all make mistakes, PlusNet included. All I am saying is that as a 'caring' ISP, I think the PlusNet system should be working to help the customer if he gets it wrong, not just casting him adrift.
N/A

James,

I don't know where the idea of PlusNet 'phoning everyone' came from. My post just asked for a follow up, I had not expected anything other than an email.
James
Grafter

Hah!

I would never say that we are perfect. Besides, perfection is unobtainable Smiley

Sorry if I misread your initial post, it seemed to be suggesting to me that we should be doing a lot more to let you know of your domain expiring. A second email would certainly be something worth giving some consideration.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I would of thought that if the first email was lost/forgotten there would be strong probability that the second would suffer a similar fate!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gswindale
Grafter

How many reminders do you get to pay your credit card bill?

I think in this instance, PlusNet have nothing to worry about - they sent you a reminder that it was about to expire. I think that you need to look at your practice where you believe that the reason it may have been overlooked was that it might have been mistaken as a 2nd reminder for another domain name. Surely the fact that the contents of the email referred to a different domain name should have given it away.

Assuming that you are referring to a .uk domain name, there is a 30 day period from expiry following which the domain is suspended for 60 days and then cancelled, so renewing the registration should not be too much of a problem. From my experience, when this has happened, a quick note to the domain registration agent (in your case Plus) solves the problem (I had this happen on one of my own domains a year or so ago).
N/A

As always with PlusNet, nothing is ever simple.

Despite providing payment details as soon as the problem was identified, PlusNet have still not changed their DNS settings to reflect this, some 18 hours later. The reminder ticket I raised yesterday evening never got replied to. The support person I spoke to today now says it may take all day for PlusNet to do this. On top of this it will then have to propogate through the Web.

I'm afraid I stand by my earlier thoughts, I don't think PlusNet do enough to support their customers when a problem occurs, either through PlusNet's fault or their customers. Reading the replies to this post, I guess it is because many of their customers have such low expectations of customer service.