cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of ".co.uk" domain name if I upgrade to ADSL

N/A

Why is it that I will lose my "free .co.uk" domain name if I chose to upgrade to ADSL?

I have had this for almost 2 years and would not really be of any use to anyone else...... I can understand there being a cost to register a new domain name but surely this was covered in my original package on my dialup account - afterall, it was registered in my name by force9...... I would be re-registering it in my own name anyway when it expires this year....

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

You won't 'lose' your domain.

We can do one of two things for you:

1. We can untag your domain as a free one. This way you will be responsible for the next renewal payment, but hosting will still be free. This won't cost you anything unless your current account type (With a free domain name) is less than a year old.

2. You can pay an extra £1 a month on the new DSL account and use this to host your domain name. We will then cover any renewal payments for you.

Hope that makes sense - Where were you told differently?

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

You can keep it at the cost of £1 per month. Domain names cost money and put simply the profit margins on the ADSL accounts do not take into account this cost.

Chris
N/A

Thanks !!

Thanks to all - I did read the text during applying for an upgrade package - it suggests exactly what has been said here - I was just wondering why this would be the case but thinking about it it all makes sense.... D'oh !!

Cheers again !!
slanjavah
Grafter

So does this mean that I can now have my registerd Domain Name as the £1.00 per month on my adsl account
jberry
Grafter

Yes, by default the domain will become the £1 domain when your account is upgraded.

Regards,
N/A

slanjavah

Do you mean can you bring in a domain that was registered with a company outside plusnet and pay the £1. ??

I think you will find the £1 only covers domains that have been registered through PlusNet (or sister copmpanies it would appear). Transferring in a domain from elsewhere would not be covered.
N/A

You could also let the name lapse, then pick it up again with one of the other registering companies. I get my co.uk one for £3.00 per year, and it will forward any mail to your plusnet email account, with multiple email addresses too.

Gary
slanjavah
Grafter

No I mean the one that i registered with with +Net when i originally opened my account when I upgraded to asdl account in September was informed could not move my free domain nmae to the £1.00 per month now it seems I can. Am I correct in this assumtion
Community Veteran

If you originaly ordered your domain name with PlusNet then you should be able to have its renewal covered by the £1-00 fee.