cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing sync every 10 minutes.

pepsi_max2k
Grafter

I just raised a ticket about this, but thought i'd ask here incase anyone has a quick answer...

For the past week - 10 days my modem is losing sync about every 10 minuts, and takes between a few and up to about 10 minutes to regain it. I've tried with both an old voyager 105 modem and voyager 205 to wrt54gl router and they're both the same.

The weird thing is it only does it between about 4.30pm and 11.30pm (give or take about 20 minutes), basically exactly the same time as peak usage is calculated. At the same time download speeds drop to about half what they usually are (150kb ish from 230 kbps normal) and pings go way up.

It's starting to get pretty annoying as the thing only seems to be working half the time I use it after 4pm, but before then it works perfectly well.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Christmas lights may be the issue. I know it sounds stupid, but christmas lights can play havoc with Max, so I have heard. Have you tried the usual stuff, plugged into the BT master socket and test socket, changed filters etc etc. Have you tried monitoring your line stats when you lose sync.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

christmas lights that go on at 4pm on the dot, and off at 11pm? did santa get put on peak time restrictions too? Tongue as for max, i still don't know for sure if i'm on it or not. raised a ticket about it, one guy said i was, another said i wasn't, bt said i was but aren't anymore, either way it's still a problem.

line stats... yeah... i've got various debug windows open now.. like i know what anything means... but i'll take a note next time it goes off. it's currently at attenuation 39.5 (local) 24 (remote) and snr 19.5 (local) 12.5 (remote).

tried everything but seperate microfiter, which i'm doing now. just waiting for it to drop sync for the first time...

EDIT: scarily i'm now getting download speeds ~240kbps, up 10 from my normal off peak speed. come on you bugger, drop or i look a pilock again...
sophos9
Grafter

yorkfriend,

If you are dropping sync about every ten mins this is nothing to do with PN, this is either line conditions or exchange issues

What is your downstream / upstream sync rates? Your stats look OK so far...
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

2272, 228.

reason i thought it could be something to do with PN is the whole 4pm - 12am thing, virtually on the dot of peak time usage being recorded the thing starts dropping, soon as peak time ends it's fine again. surely there's gotta be some connection, wherever the fault is.

that said, i've never been so dissapointed at a stable connection as i am now. the new microfilter hasn't seen me drop for the past 35 minutes, probably the best i've seen for a week. i'm gonna go try it on my normal modem/router and see what happens.

oh 1 more thing. with the previous microfilter i was seeing a load of counts in the F section of Counters under "DSL Failures / Counter" in the bt modem status tool. now i got hardly anything there.
sophos9
Grafter

Sounds like your filter gave up.... the errors are not occurring due to the line being filtered again

Try and keep the line connected and as stable as possible, I would guess your bRAS profile in the exchange has taken a bit of a beating!
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

:roll: the last few hours without a loss of sync seem to agree with you, unless it's another strange coincidence. any idea why the other one would only cause sync drops during peak times?

bras is still 2000 (bt) 2500 (pn). always has been. and this ain't nothing. last time the modem broke while i was away, it resynced itself every 10 seconds for a whole week. ouch. i think the fact i'm not getting anything faster is still a result of them cutting the speed when that happened. Sad
N/A

4.30pm to 11.30pm sounds like the central heating or water heating, yours or if you live in a flat one of your neighbours.
sophos9
Grafter

yorkfriend, PN can only cause disconnections NOT loss of sync

Have you got your modem plugged directly into the master socket?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You're definately on Max, although there is a note on your account that they've set the speed to 2Mbps because of an intermittant problem from August.

If the filter swap doesn't fix it, then it may be that the 2Mbps they've set it to is now slightly too high. If so then raise a fault via http://faults.plus.net and we can get it looked into.

Edit: by they, I mean BT Wholesale.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

>>You're definately on Max, although there is a note
>>on your account that they've set the speed to 2Mbps
>>because of an intermittant problem from August.

cheers. i did raise a ticket to find out what i was on a week ago (see http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51743), james bailey eventually said

Your current product is IPStream Home 2000. We are unable to see any orders on your telephone line.

and then later...

BT's main ordering system believes that you are on Max, and the other is reporting that you are not, as proved by the levels of sync that you are currently attaining.

but the above sounds about right. the august thing will be the modem problem, got a message from bt saying they were cutting the speed until the problem stopped. was syncing at 4 mbps fine but haven't been there since. would there be any way to get bt to change it back up again?

as for the microfilter problem, it's not dropped sync since i changed it Shockedops: guess i should go close that ticket now...

and yes it's plugged into the master socket. and something was causing loss of sync with the previous microfilter soley between the times of plus net's peak rate times, almost to the exact minute. whether next door's water heater is set to the same time, the christmas lights have been put on 7 hour rations, or the microfilter has an internal clock and a sense of humour, i dunno. i just figured pn's peakrate was the most likely thing, at a guess transmitting something in someway that was causing the drop outs that it wasn't doing outside of peak rates. but hey, i'm all for blaming the water. Cool
sophos9
Grafter

Good luck with the new filter, hopefully you will get a stable connection and see you profile get back to what it used to be!

Post up if you keep on getting sync problems...
N/A

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm BUT, been there, done that, bought the tea shirt. See:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49538

My problem, like yours, was that the eco system showed me to be on Home 2000 (2272 down and 288 up) but the ordering system showed me to be on Max. Dave Tomlinson sorted this by putting an order in to regrade me to Max Premium to get both systems showing the same thing and then downgraded me to Max. This worked for 5 days before BT decided to put me back on Home 2000 again. It took me another month to persuade PlusNet I was back on Home 2000.
AND I am still on Home 2000. BT are moving me to another port at the exchange on Friday. My BT account details show a cease order going through and no provide order. The guys in Support assure me that their acount details show there is a provide order as well. I expect to be without broadband for Xmas :-(

If you want any more of the gruesome details, PM me.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

that sounds a lot like my max problem. i've raised a ticket to see if they can get bt to change the profile or whatever. hopefully someone will notice Home 2000 thing again and do something about it this time.
pepsi_max2k
Grafter

oh no, what did i do.

i raised a ticket to ask about reprofiling, got a reply saying they were noticing disconections still happening (the sync thing, see above, now (kinda) fixed), I replied saying yes I know there's been sync issues, I've fixed it (give or take a bit more testing to find out exactly which MF's are messed up)...

and now I've got a guy telling me the sync issues are nothing to do with them (yeah, i just told you that...) and I should fix them myself (yes, i also just told you i'm doing that). and the ticket seems to have gone completely off course from a simple request to get BT to change the profile to a guy telling me he can't fix my sync issues and wants to know if he should tell BT about them.

20927629 if anyone cares to take it back on course... give it a day though, still gotta figure out if it's my phone extension cable, surge protector or microfilter that isn't working...