cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Sync - Some Understanding

N/A

I raised a ticket due to my Router disconnecting. Here is the reply

This can be one of two things, a problem with your internal wiring/hardware or a problem with your BT Line/exchange, your dropping connection is not a problem with our service as such as your line will be loosing whats called sync, this link is from you and the exchange so regardless of the ISP this problem would be the same.

Blah Blah Blah

Okay, the router is brand new so it is possile (but I think unlikely) that this is part of the problem (any way to check the actual hardware?) BUT, before I was re-graded (causing a week of complete connection loss) I had absolutely no problems.

aside from the potential of my router not working, how could this suddenly become a problem with the line/exchange? The only way I could see it being a problem is if PN screwed it up when regrading me?Huh
29 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Is this a regrade to Max?
N/A

no to LLU
James
Grafter

Hi Simon,

I'd recommend changing your filters, and ensuring that you are connecting via your master socket, and then passing the ticket back to the CSC with that information.
N/A

Thanks James. Will definately be trying a new filter (got a new one with the router so will connect that) however, plugging into the master socket is virtually impossible due to its location.

If I have no other real choice I could try and setup the computer in the kitchen... Just hate to have to lug that monitor up and down the stairs, nearly broke my back carrying it up the stairs the first time!
N/A

See my previous posting here

If you can divert you landline to your mobile and get to your master socket so that you can disconnect all the internal wiring this will eliminate so much. Plugging the router directly into the back of the master socket without a phone does not require the use of a filter.
Community Veteran

Also if you can't conveniently reach the master socket then the next best thing is to plug a small extension lead into it and then connect directly to the extension.
You will still have removed all the other internal wiring by doing this and as long as you are confident that the extension lead is a good one then its a passible alternative.
N/A

I already have an extension connected to the phone line. Are you saying that I could just connect this directly to the master socket? That would be much easier than dragging my computer downstairs Smiley
Community Veteran

I am saying that this is a way of removing all of the fixed internal wiring from the equation by using the extension lead directly into the inside connector inside the master socket.

It is by no means as good as being able to connect directly into the master socket but it will make sure that any fault is not due to your fixed internal wiring.
Obviously use as short an extension as possible so that you are adding as little loss as possible into the system.
Community Veteran

To be clear, to connect to the master socket requires removing the faceplate on the BT socket that brings your phone line into the house.

It maybe problematic to do this test, such as moving equipment around the house, but in fault finding terms it is significant as we can determine quickly if your internal phone wiring is causing you problems.

Did you have MaxDSL before being moved to LLU?

Can you post your router/modem line stats here?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I was on a standard 2Mb connection before being moved to LLU

Where do I get my line stats from? Sorry but I am fairly new to this Shockedops:

Is this what you mean?

ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A - 01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_2plus
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 15 12 dB
Line Attenuation 24 10 dB
Data Rate 8157 618 kbps
Community Veteran

Modulation ADSL_2plus

Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 15 12 dB
Line Attenuation 24 10 dB
Data Rate 8157 618 kbps

These are your line stats. They are apparently very good ... many would sell various vitals organs to get the same. :lol:

Also, you the LLU lines uses ADSL2+ as mentioned above, so in theory any noise problems on your line will be handled with what is known as 'seamless rate adaption'. You could probably get +12Mb eventually PN and Tiscali allow for it.

It is still worth plugging into the master socket to know if your internal home wiring is causing any problems.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
shellsong
Grafter

Actually I'm not sure whether the Tiscali LLU has ADSL2+ capability yet-- maybe ADSL2 but allegedly ADSL2+ is in the pipeline!
N/A

Have you checked that the firmware on your router is the latest?

Do you get disconnects when not using the service? Funny question I know, but if you look in your router logs you may be able to tell. If you do then moving just the router downstairs for a test period is far easier than humping your PC downstairs aswell.

Inconvenient it maybe but all these tests remove certain factors out of the equation and help identify the real problem.
N/A

After changing the filter last night, I am still connected Cheesy

I have still been unable to find any way of monitoring whether there have been disconnects/reconnects.

Rx Total Error Counts 1

Only thing I think it could be is the above for the traffic stats.

Now to see if I get booted from any games of warcraft Cheesy

Thanks for the help all Cheesy

Edit: Had a quick play on warcraft before coming to work. It seemed to be fairly stable. Will need to do a Saturday morning 'session' to really test it though