cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lose Connection Every Evening - Need Help & Advice

N/A

For the past 3 - 4 months now (coincidentally at around the time my line was upgraded from 512k to 2 MB), I lose connection every evening between 8.30 & 9.30 pm and am unable to get it back. The following mornings and all through the day all seems to be ok until we hit that magic evening time again. About 2 weeks ago I upgraded my account from ADSL Home Surf to Broadband Premier 2 MB thinking that may help, but no luck here. I've tried rebooting the pc & modem, disconnecting & reconnecting but nothing seems to do the trick. There is a diagnostic feature on the modem which indicates ADSL sync failure. There is no pattern to the loss of connection (i.e. when idle or when in use).

Equipment wise, nothing has changed for nearly two years now with the same in place. Phone line is connected to an eTEC modem which is connected to a Dell wireless router. My sons have laptops which feedoff the wireless router (again for over a year without issues until the problem started 3-4 months ago). Speed tests seem to be ok with around 1700-1800. Useage is around 5 GB a month.

I would be grateful for any advice. Please be gentle as I am severly technically challenged so simple language please. Many thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

From what you describe it seems that you are getting some electrical interferance that has always been there but is now upsetting the ADSL signal at 2meg, which is more dependent on a cleaner line than your old 512k was.

This may be a hard one to pin down.
Start at home first though. Do you have anything that switches on at that time? Central heating etc.

Then politely try and find out if your neighbors have anything that fires up at the same time every night.
N/A

John

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Central heating / hot water comes on twice a day. Mornings 5-9 am and evenings 4-9 pm. So don' t think this is it as mornings and afternoons are unaffected.

Re the neighbours, we are in a detatched house with each of the 2 neighbours around 40 ft away from the room where the phone point is connected to the modem. Although one neighbour is closer at the point where the overhead phone line enters the house, they have however been away for the last 3 weeks and the problem has continued while they have been away. As the phone lines are overhead, would street lights coming on be a factor?

There does not seem to be any other electrical equipment that switches on at the time of the loss of connection.

Other question - would a change of modem/router to one that is less sensitive solve this problem or is this purely a line issue?
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

Re: electrical interference

A thing to check might be the street lamps outside your house. One of the lamp posts over the road from us would flicker and buzz for an hour or two after lighting up and would play merry hell with the adsl connection until it finally managed to light fully. You could also hear the buzzing on the digital tv box in perfect sync with the flickering over the road.
N/A

I'll have a look at the street lamps this evening and see if the timing of that has anything to do with the loss of connection as well. Thanks
Community Veteran

Other question - would a change of modem/router to one that is less sensitive solve this problem or is this purely a line issue?

I suspect that its a line issue and the street lighting suggested above could be a good suspect.
It would always be worthwhile though trying to borrow a modem or router to see if it does have any effect.
N/A

We've reported a similar problem pratically every day since April. Our connections were going down for whole afternoons and evenings sometimes and would always come back on its own by the time the fault teams got round to checking the line.

BT finally agreed to drop our speed back down to 512 (we were at 1MB) and this was done last week (but we had to find out for ourselves). Because both fault teams only work office hours and together with PN fault team were not 'able' to check the line whenever I called it's been a nightmare - nor were they willing to be flexible in any way while they still took our £30 a month (we only found out we could reduce that by rummaging around the pn site.)

Persistence and lots of phone calls I think - oh and don't let them (BT or PN)give you the runaround like they both did with us. Whenever PN told us to call BT, the latter always said it's a broadband fault and the ISP has to liaise with them.

Still not quite sorted, but it's a wee bit better at holding on to the signal at the lower speed. - oh, and we don't have any street lights or other interference.

I did find a monitoring service (http://www.dslreports.com/tools) which would ping us every 10 minutes - and it shows up useful graphs of disconnection times (USA time though). Only a few dollars to register I seem to recall.

No smiley - still too cheesed off!

But having said that, I've still comfortable with Plus - it's the broadband service as a whole which is duff.
N/A

8.40 pm and still have connection. Have been able to eliminate the street lights though, they are now on and no effect so far.