cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loads of missing USENET articles

Lorian
Grafter

Plusnet usenet servers seem to have missed loads of (text) articles in the last 24 hours.

I created a thread in a uk.rec newsgroup and of the 19 replies I can see via google. only one is on the plusnet server.
27 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

Actually what I see is no new threads since yesterday. Loads of threads from before today have duplicate headers and no bodies.

Anyone else seeing the same thing or is it my newsreader?
thejudge
Grafter

Confirmed here.

I'm seeing the reappearance of posts which I'd already read from up to a week ago, and no posts at all dated after late yesterday (3rd).

Also, my Thunderbird seemed to have lost its threading settings, showing each post individually rather than grouped. Not sure if this is related.

Something's messed up, that's for sure.
thejudge
Grafter

Seems to be back more-or-less to normal now. :|
N/A

usenet misbehaving

It's not happy - some NGs are fine, some aren't. How does one get PN to acknowledge that there is a fault?
Lorian
Grafter

I raised a ticket...
N/A

Me too. Expected time to response 19 hours - that's just not good enough for fault reporting.
Lorian
Grafter

Service status update:

Service: USENET
Posted: Thu, Oct 05 2006 at 08:15:10
Subject: Usenet Problems (36296) - NEW

We are currently aware of problems affecting our Usenet service that appear to have materialised following the recent maintenence work to rectify the x-ref problem that resulted in missing posts.

We are receiving reports of duplicate posts, expired articles, and mismatched headers/bodies. Our network engineers are aware of the problem and will be providing further information as it becomes available.
thejudge
Grafter

And now, having gone into it earlier this evening without any apparent problems, I go back in and find that virtually every message is coming up as "not found on the server". :x The dates are all over the place and my threading settings are all wrong again...

...and +Net say that the next update on 'the way ahead' won't be until next Wednesday!

Not good enough, not by a long way. Evil
Lorian
Grafter

Everything is "fine" for me after resetting all the header pointers. Don't know how to do this in other newsreaders, but in OE its at:

Tools->options->maintenance->cleanupnow->reset

All the headers are then wiped out, and reloaded next access to the groups. no need to unsubscribe and re-subscribe.
N/A

Thanks for this. It "fixed it" for me too...

:-)
Stef

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Quote edited so as not to be a full quote of preceding post as per the link:rules]
Stef
Grafter

Well it worked for two hours. Now getting no updates any more... :roll: I'll post a ticket...

Stef.

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Quote edited so as not to be a full quote of preceding post as per the link:rules]
Stef
Grafter

OK, so I went to the new help section which directed me to the service status section which tells me of ongoing probs and to try unsubscribe/resubscribe protem (So I wont post a ticket) and I'll leave Plusnet to fix it...
(I am such an undemanding customer! Well at least I have Goggle Groups to fall back on - All hail to the great Google!) I must still like Plusnet as I have just signed my Mum up for it!

Stef.

;-)

[Moderator's note by James - (sallyandjames): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the link:rules]
thejudge
Grafter

OK, this is what I've tried so far:

1) Unsubscribed and resubscribed. Downloaded all the headers. Still the same problems.
2) Deleted all my Thunderbird .msf files, reopened Thunderbird...and waited ages while it reloaded the headers (some of them dating back a whole year!). That seemed to solve the issue of the threading settings going cuckoo.

But...

...I'm now getting very few posts through (even from groups which I know to be high-volume, and posts which carry today's date are once again saying that they don't exist on the server. :x

This is seriously sub-standard service, and I don't see why we have to wait until Wednesday for an update on it.

Unless, of course, this is the +Net bean-counters' way of getting us to stop using Usenet altogether. :?:
Lorian
Grafter

Yes it's gone SNAFU again, very few posts today.