cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load balancing

Snarf
Grafter

Load balancing

Is there load balancing across the different gateways, and does it work properly? For not the first time I've noticed really slow speeds on one gateway, so I've had to reboot the router to connect to a different gateway, then my speeds jump up again.

Is there any problem or does the balancing (if it exists) just not work very well?
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Load balancing

Hi,

Unfortunately there isn't any load balancing. When each person connects they are allocated to each gateway by BT on a round robin basis regardless of the load on each of the tunnels. So you can easily connect to a busy tunnel or a quiet tunnel.

BT were going to offer session steering to help get around this but the project was shelved last year.

Makes life difficult when you add extra capacity or a gateway needs rebooting because people will connect to each gateway rather than just the one that has few connected and when they do generally you don't get the right mix.

The first two new segments from the pipe are now fairly balanced in, but it took a while but the third segment isn't (about 1500 customers per tunnel compared with 2000 on the others).
Snarf
Grafter

Load balancing

Ok thanks Dave.

It's a shame as load balancing on a small scale is fairly simple to achieve, I'm just not sure if it translates to such a large scale. I'll just have to remember to jump gateways if things are slowing down!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Load balancing

Agreed, it would be great to have proper load balancing and something we have asked for from BT but as I say it was dropped a while back. Another reason therefore to switch away from IPStream to Wholesale Broadband Connect because there isn't the need to load balance.
Community Veteran

Load balancing

Another reason therefore to switch away from IPStream to Wholesale Broadband Connect because there isn't the need to load balance.

Is it more accurate to say there is no need for PN to do load balancing, rather it will still need to be done but will be done by BTW.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Load balancing

Yes.