cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little clarity again ( ive lost my memory lol )

N/A

Hey all,

Sorry about this post. I have seem to have forgotten explanations of a lot of things just lately due to a LOT of family problems.

I am well up to date with the restrictions, caps, throttles, peak times etc etc Plusnet have deemed fit to put into place. Right I would like clarified again though is this.

Plusnet have created an SUP which, as the name suggests, is their SUSTAINABLE usage policy. So far so good, yep I understand this. I understand the grounds on which this is based and how it works.
I have also read and understand the way Plusnet are working their new Updated Vision for 2006 plan. But this is where I start getting lost ( due to so much going off over the past few months ).

If Plusnet have stated that they deem a total of 100 GB on a £21.99 premier account as being sustainable, then what I would like to know is this.

Why oh why can they only sustain 20GB of FTP, P2P and USENET traffic at gold level.
Why can they only sustain a further 5GB at Silver and the rest at Bronze.

Why the hell do we need a different Peak time for these protocals.

And why the hell limit them.

The way I see it is like this.

If you state you can sustain 30GB peak + 70GB off peak OR 100GB total in a month, then you should have no cause what so ever to impose limits on ANYTHING as anything you do is bound by these SUP guidlines.
If on the other hand you cannot sustain your own implemented SUP guidelines, then why not give everyone the realistic figures and we can decide whether or not these are fair or not.

no -one, but no-one will be able to use 70GB in a month on http, voip or gaming.
If no limits have been applied to gaming, voip or anything else then I firmly believe that no limits should be applied to the likes of FTP and such.

Now I am not looking for explanations along the lines of "Why would you need xxxGB for FTP or anything else unless you were doing x, y and z" or anything else along those lines.

I am looking for factual answers that would explain why it is a MUST that these limits be applied ( this does not include responses like "we are leading the way and many ISP's will follow" or " Because these protocols damage our network"). Those sort of answers are simply rubbish, if the usage does damage your network, simple, change your SUP to fit and not limit people and give others free reign.
Yes I know if FTP is a must I can always use a business package, but the fact is I am not a complete business user, and the prices are simply too far fetched for me to pay. Oh not to mention those too are SLIGHTLY throttled.

Please help me clarify this one. My head is in bits ( as mentioned above due to a lot of family problems over the past few months ). I did know, but have honestly forgotten in favour of more urgent matters.

Regards,
38 REPLIES
N/A

Tom, although I cannot help clarify as I ain't got a clue to be honest, but I would like to extend my empathy as I too have had a trying few weeks and can totally understand the fuzzy brain thing. I hope things are now on the up for you now as they are for me.
N/A

also replies that FTP / P2P are a "different sort of traffic" shouldnt be acceptable as its not. As well as stuff like "FTP is a constant drain etc etc", but gaming is as well -- i dont know anyone that plays online games for less than 2hours a go. i would love to see the ans to this Cheesy
Community Veteran

Tom; I've just spent my whole evening working on a article about this.....
If you can wait until I'm recovered I'll give you a rundown!

Alternatively you can take a look at the usergroups rundown:

usergroup.plus.net/sup.php
N/A

Daniel,

Are we talking rundown as in why the seperate caps on FTP etc and why the second peak time, or do you mean it in a different sense.

Regards,
N/A

Daniel,

I have just taken a look at your article and all it really does is echo the already existing Vision for 2006 Update.
My questions are wholly different and are actually more aimed at the why's of the secondary caps as apposed to the what's.

My thougghts havent completely here for the past couple of months but family matters do that to you.

So i thought that the SUP was in place to give a fair usage to all. So why these secondary limits on a premier account. Personally I thought the SUP was supposed to end the probs, not act as a gateway for further restsrictions.

Sorry but Im a little slower at typing due to using the pda.

Regards,
___oDiN__
Grafter

tom i fully back what you say and i too am confused and somewhat annoyed
having got used to the 30/100 sup on the 2mb premier and all the blurb about it being what plusnet deem as "sustainable" . i accepted it, monitor my downloads to ensure no peak time excess and now the whole thing has changed yet again to something much much more restricted and capped.

peak times have jumped to 16 hrs a day as a "temp" solution scripts to reset account are manually done and dont seem to work its just a big complicated mess. bb+ users are told they have no caps or limits just managment, but yet no one will give anyone an exact speed to expect it really is getting too much and i have given plusnet the benefit of the doubt, hoping that things will improve but it does seem that they are taking the p***
N/A

buzzons I can have chuzzles running all evening if I'm feeling low seems to settle me and is sooooooooooo addictive, if that slows people down please accapt apologies I didn't realise.
Community Veteran

I have just taken a look at your article and all it really does is echo the already existing Vision for 2006 Update.

Just to point out that's not my article it's the usergroups. ;-)

My questions are wholly different and are actually more aimed at the why's of the secondary caps as apposed to the what's.

oops sorry. IIRC it was because for p2p / usenet people were moaning about slow speeds due to being in the bronze queue. So after much pestering :p PN gave us a allowance in the gold queue of 20GB for p2p / usenet and snuck FTP into the allowance as people were using it to get over the p2p / usenet shaping.
___oDiN__
Grafter

my understanding was it was the bb+ users who were moaning about speed issues and allowances not premier as premier was supposed to be just that "premier" and unrestricted except for the sup
Community Veteran

No; premier as well.
___oDiN__
Grafter

well im sure you agree the premier package is nothing like it was sold as and is nothing but caps with restriction which are tbh stupid for something sold as a premier package and once again i for one am seriously looking at zen for the new year as 20gb for ftp/psp/usenet is a joke for 21.99 and as tom said who needs 70-80gb for web browsing and email
ceridwen
Grafter

as tom said who needs 70-80gb for web browsing and email

The only reason 70-80GB web browsing/email is "sustainable" for PN (hence is allowed under SUP) is because PN don't actually expect anyone to use that amount. If the mythical "majority of customers" actually starting using this amount of HTTP and e-mail traffic, HTTP and e-mail would be traffic managed/restricted more.

Matthew
___oDiN__
Grafter

indeed so in essence the premier package has a sup limit of 20gb for all protocols other than http/email/voip and should be sold that way
N/A

as tom said who needs 70-80gb for web browsing and email

The only reason 70-80GB web browsing/email is "sustainable" for PN (hence is allowed under SUP) is because PN don't actually expect anyone to use that amount. If the mythical "majority of customers" actually starting using this amount of HTTP and e-mail traffic, HTTP and e-mail would be traffic managed/restricted more.

Matthew

Infact following ceridwen's statement, i am starting to form the decision that plus are not just trying to restrict the top 1% but rather more the top 11 -> 12% as tthis is where all usage over 20gb is.
I am starting to form the assumption that plus cannot sustain 100gb a month, but as apposed to changing the T&C's again, (which would almost definately result in a higher cancellation from punters), they have decided to make it look like an improvement, when its nothing more than a second SUP.

Plus, however much I try not to think it, is starting become more and more like wannabee.

regards,

[edited 1 time in total to correct a wrong sentance]