cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little annoyance with autologin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Why is it that whenever I logout from the portal it automatically disables autologin for future visits
12 REPLIES
N/A

Because you've updated the Plus cookie with the info that you've logged out?

If you want autologin to stay live you'd have to keep that cookie info I'd assume.
Community Veteran

Agreed but my gripe is that the act of logging out removes autologin.
This really isn't necessary and smacks of bad design
csogilvie
Grafter

It makes sense to me... you've told it to logout, so you don't want to automatically login again - same in other software as well.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It may just be me, but I struggle to see the point of logging out if you have auto login enabled.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Because if I want to set up another account for someone or access another PlusNet account (as in this case) or to look for new account info I need to log out otherwise all I get are the upgrade options.
LiamM
Grafter

But you can't have it both ways.

If you logout, and want it to stay logged out, these doesn't make sense if you hve auto-login enabled. Because as soon as you load another portal page, the auto-logn will log you in as thats what it's been told to do.
N/A

use another browser
LiamM
Grafter

Yup.. thats what I do. I mainly use Opera, but if I need to log into another account - then I do it using Firefox.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

use another browser

Beat me to it - I was just trying exactly that when you posted.

I use Firefox by choice. I've just logged in to a different account using IE - restarted Firefox and got straight back here without logging in again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

But you can't have it both ways.

If you logout, and want it to stay logged out, these doesn't make sense if you hve auto-login enabled. Because as soon as you load another portal page, the auto-logn will log you in as thats what it's been told to do.

Not really if I logout and want to stay logged out then I would disable autologin.
But as I said at the beginning it was a little annoyance and obviously I'm in a minority of one on this. Smiley

Funnily enough I tried using IE6 to get round the problem and it failed miserably to allow me to create another account - no reason given it just kept recycling the first page of the account creation page. I think, from subsequent investigation that it was due to cookies being blocked.
LiamM
Grafter

little annoyance and obviously I'm in a minority of one on this. Smiley

When you click the logout button on the portal, how do you expect it to know when you want it logged back in again?

Autologin works by placing a cookie on your machine with all your autologin details. Whenever you load a portal page that requires a login, the page checks for this cookie and logs you in.

It isn't technically possible to do what you're suggesting.

You would logout, but then when you go to another page, this will check for the cookie, see it, and log you back in. How do you expect it to know you don't want to be logged back in?

The only option would be to have a logout feature that keeps you logged out for, say, 1 hour.
N/A

Because if I want to set up another account for someone or access another PlusNet account (as in this case) or to look for new account info I need to log out otherwise all I get are the upgrade options.

It's easy to workaround that. If you use IE then add www.mozilla.com and www.opera.com

I use multiple browsers for doing all sorts of different things. Very handy especially if you like complete control of your cookies.

Good cookie control ap BTW here Works with IE and Firefox.