cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Clarification / Terrible Speeds

N/A

Ok I was worried about this when I was migrating to PlusNet from Pipex little over a week ago and now I know I was right. I started migrating to PlusNet just before the packet shaping and change of policies and when I read about it on the forum I was worried.

I cant diss my HTTP downloads I always get 80-100kbs (even though I got 130kbs from Pipex constantly) I still don’t care its fine. However all my P2P/Torrent downloading is totally crap ranging from 2kbs to 20kbs if I am lucky!

Now before everyone starts to blame me or my hardware or the unreliability on torrents/P2P let me give you the details.

1. I am on the 2mb Premiere account (No I doubt I have the wrong profile as I am a new customer).

2. I migrated over from Pipex from which I received an excellent 100% uptime with full download speeds. (I only moved because this was £2 cheaper and at the time had much better customer support)

3. My HTTP downloads run near full speed and even now my speed tests are below for you to see:

03-09-2005 23:27:31 835.8 - PlusNet
03-09-2005 23:12:30 804.9 - PlusNet
02-09-2005 00:32:08 890.4 - PlusNet
01-09-2005 18:24:53 832 - PlusNet
31-08-2005 18:01:17 945.2 - PlusNet
31-08-2005 17:56:46 840.8 - PlusNet
31-08-2005 17:27:05 795.4 - PlusNet
30-08-2005 17:33:52 940.9 - PlusNet
30-08-2005 17:13:29 935.5 - PlusNet
19-08-2005 18:58:46 934.7 - Pipex
18-08-2005 18:55:30 951.5 - Pipex
11-08-2005 17:56:35 958.1 - Pipex

(The bottom 3 to 4 is from my Pipex connection and the rest are PlusNet so even here you can see I was getting a better speed)

4. My router is reporting a strong connection with acceptable line noise for the connection.

5. The torrent I am downloading has over 400 seeds and atleast another 100 leechers so there is no shortage of connectivity. Yes I can accept slow speeds every now and again from a torrent that always happens but right now I am getting a constantly 1-2kbs which has NEVER happened before.

6. No I dont have the "Surf" feature turned on.

I am 99.9% sure this is a packet shaping issue and according to the posts I have read the packet shaping implemented would only cost the user a very small % of his speed when downloading…. I am loosing over 95% of my downloading speed which isn’t acceptable.

I was making a ticket raising this issue with my speed but I didn’t want to click the button saying I would accept a admin charge if there was any. Can someone from PlusNet please respond to this forum post when possible (probably not until tomorrow which I accept).
23 REPLIES
N/A

yip i dont care what cs says you getting hevily shapped i feel the same thing i get hit down from between 20 to a max of about 60 or 80 which is poor considering i can download at 230 on some website.
N/A

In all fairness my maximum line speed is only 1mb but I SHOULD still be able to reach 130kbs.
N/A

Oh and to add another question for Plusnet to answer, when will you be upgrading the network so that you can handle the load of 130k users and not need to packet shape us just to keep things running?
N/A

probably whn anothr 10000 join so they can afford the nw onelol

if it th case of money cant support the systm then their system is flawed and thy shouldnt tried to run adsl on a 21.99 package....
N/A

sabaoth is just another one of the customers whose dissatisfied with PN. He has the premier package and he is still on this pathetic download rate. Come on PN what do you have to say about that? I expect one of you CS people to come out with some lame reason for this...BLA BLA BLA!!!!
N/A

Ok I have waited nicely for a reply as I know it takes time and you guys are busy but can I please get one soon from the CS staff - thank you.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The level of shaping on Premier accounts is very low and should not have this much of an affect on torrents.

There are so many different factors involved in torrent performance it is almost impossible to find the cause of problems like this.

Have you tried the ubuntu torrent, this has been known to max out even the fastest of lines.
N/A

Just tried but the Tracker is Down for me, I understand there are a hundred and one factors to consider with Torrents but I use Torrents alot and I know these speeds are wrong and it isnt just on one torrent its on all.

My torrent client is configured the same as before with Pipex and i use to get 90-110kbs then

Also can you answer my other question above? Asking if there are network upgrade plans so we can see an end to this shaping? Even having a FUP where people going over 120GB a month get warned would be better than this shaping.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The shaping is not a temporary measure, and really should not cause this sort of problems. I have heard from many users who are able to get torrents downloaded at over 200 kB/s.

Please see Dave Tomlinson's post here for more info on the shaping and the reasons for it's introduction.
N/A

Hi Ben.

Thought i was having probs too but have just tried the ubuntu torrent with azureus and am getting 140 kB per sec. Not too shabby. Cheers.
N/A

Well i tried that torrent you have gave out Ben and i am now hitting the dizzy heights of 24KB/s
N/A

After accepting the "tracker down" yesterday on the ubuntu torrent I decided to try it again today and yes I agree you were right I am getting a better speed. I am also on the dizzy heights of 14kbs (dances) well this is a hell of alot better than the 2kbs I was getting yesterday. [ End Sarcasm ]

Proof of my speed:

Sorry about the tone but I am quite obviously annoyed! and yes my download client is setup properly with optimal settings as it was before with Pipex. I have the ports open for it on my router and there is a clear path.
N/A

I've just tried that torrent, and it's ran at around 200KB/s. It kept grinding to a halt though at 0KB/s - then slowly going back up.

Any ideas why?

Cheers

Steve
N/A

no halt grinding here. nice smooth maxed out connection after a couple of minutes. perhaps it's the too many inbound connections overloading your modem/router problem that i've heard about.