cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Distro's

N/A

Linux Distro's

I know I've mentioned this before but is there any way F9 can host any of the major linux distro's.

As most are now needing to be downloaded via bit-torrent links this is affecting user's usage, as if we don't share the file we could end up getting blocked from downloading and get classed as leechers.

if you can't host them, what is the maximum usage i can have on my own webspace to place the files on for downloading. As I am sure there are many linux users out there that are with F9 and have similar issues.

As if can have enough space to hold the images then I wouldn't mind putting them on their for F9 users, means we should get faster downloads.

is there or does anyone know of a way of automatically copying the files from the source to my area in the background, so i can then pull the updates down when i want.

regards
mike
6 REPLIES
N/A

Linux Distro's

Hi Mike,

I think its a difficult one, where you pull the Linux files from (source) isnt really the issue as I perceive it. Because if the Linux files are on a server in say Sweden or USA then its only that in terms on the internet they are not local but more remote. This isnt the problem! its the actual image or file size that IS the issue here.

Look if the files are several hundred meg's or several gigabytes then the only difference is that the files have to travel physically further over the net. If the same files are on a Plusnet server in Sheffield UK then OK the files may be considered local in terms of source but that doesnt change the file size or image size in any way shape or form.

i.e. A download is a download is a download

**OK Yes! true the files being local may take slightly less time to download but they will still use the same amount of bandwidth. If its 1GB USA or 1 GB UK there wont be much in it as far as I can see. You WONT save much bandwidth or time just because the files are in sheffield UK.

**Look I cannot see that there is a way around this (unless you get someone to burn the disto's onto CD and then post them to you!) if your going to download files its going to take bandwidth simple as that. Its only a question of how big and how much bandwidth. Server location wont make any difference to bandwidth used IMO.

Ivan
N/A

Linux Distro's

Ivan,

I know server location is going to affect the bandwidth of what is used to download an image, and it doesn't matter if hosted on my webspace, someone elses or even F9's themselves.

My point is that most linux distro's are now being distributed by bit-torrent only, there are not many ftp/http sites where you can download unless you pay a fee to the producers to download from their sites to receive the images.

Most even say that you can't get the 64bit or DVD version unless you pay a subscription or download using bit-torrent.

I don't mind using bit-torrent to download the new images, but the problem arises when you have to seed as well so for each 4gb each you download, even if you only seed once, your usage is 8gb. if you don't seed trackers start to reject you or put you on a very slow download rate and class you as a leecher. This in turn means that if there are 50 seeders on something you wish to download, but you are classed as a leecher most of these seeders will not allow you to download from them, thus meaning takes for-ever to download.

this is the reason why i ask if f9 are willing to host the main distro's or not.

regards
mike
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Linux Distro's

Hi Mike,

Have you taken a look at http://ftp.heanet.ie

It mirrors a lot of linux/bsd distros and download speeds are good from there too.

I don't know what the possibility of setting up a mirror of our own would be, I'd suspect it would be a low possibility but if people indicate an interest I can suggest it.
N/A

Linux Distro's

thanks Dave

I'll create a new poll to see how many people would be interested, is there anyway a poll could be created on the plusnet forums as well, this way we can get a survey from both sides

regards
mike
N/A

Linux Distro's

Ive always used sunsite to get my linux distros...

ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/

when i was at uni it was the fastest place to get it from..... Faster than 2mb link can handle...
N/A

Linux Distro's

ftp.blueyonder.co.uk

www.linuxiso.org

www.gentoo.org

there are loads of places to download them from. I use gentoo, loads of http download sites