cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linearization - fast viewing of pdf files

Barry_Doe
Grafter

Linearization - fast viewing of pdf files

I have a pdf creator and was attracted by an upgrade that allowed "Linearization" which allows pdf files placed on our web sites to be downloaded by readers showing page one right away rather than leaving readers to have a 30 second wait or more until the whole file had downloaded. I paid for the upgrade but couldn't get it to work. Support could not wort it and then suggested I ask my Server. I did - and to my astonishment PlusNet say they don't support the system.

I am delighted with PlusNet, so I'd never move, but do other users know if PlusNet is unusual and we ought t be asking for this, or do many servers not support it? I frequently download pdfs fromothers that allow a page at a time, so I thought it was universal.

Barry Doe
8 REPLIES
Barry_Doe
Grafter

RE: Linearization - fast viewing of pdf files

Sorry. In my message above "Support could not work it" was meant to say that the pdf creator support could not work it, of course, not PlusNet support.

Barry
N/A

> Sorry. In my message above "Support could not work it" was meant to say that the pdf creator support could not work it, of course, not PlusNet support.

Good evening,

I am not aware of the software you have mentioned. It is however rare that we will make configuration changes to our servers, if this is what is required.

We also cannot offer support on most third-party software applications.

If you can explain what the software requires however, I will try and offer my advice.

Regards,
Mike

--
| Mike Grice....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
Barry_Doe
Grafter

Thank you for the response, Mike.

All the more expensive pdf creator software (in my case 'Jaws')has the facility whereby the pdfs created are optimised for "Linearization". When you click on a pdf on line, rather than showing page one and then gradually loading the whole document, as with html, you get a blank screen for 30 secs or however long it takes until the whole document is ready for viewing. This deters some people who think nothing is happening. Linearization allows the user to select a page for viewing or, if left untouched, puts up page one at once, as with an html page, and then keeps it there whilst the rest of the document is downloading.

This is not unique to any one software creator but a standard thing for any acrobat or pdf creator. I had no idea a server had to support it and it was only when files would not open at all and I asked Jaws support that they asked if I had tried asking my server. When I went back and told them that was the reason and you had said it was not supported they said they were amazed as they thought virtually all servers did so.

Of course anyone using plusnet can download such files from other servers - you'll find most pdfs work this way on other people's sites if views via PlusNet. It is just that web sites held on Plus Net will not allow others to view files in this way - which means the linearization box has to be unchecked to get the files to work at all, and thereby we're back to square one with the delay.

I hope that explains it all.

Thanks,

Barry

N/A

Hi Barry,

I think there is a communications problem here. Can you find out WHAT the PDF supplier would expect a host to have running in order to support their product?

We run a reasonably standard web service for our customers and I would be very surprised if this was configured in a different manner to the vast majority of other web servers available for public use.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
Barry_Doe
Grafter

> Hi Barry,
>
> I think there is a communications problem here. Can you find out WHAT the PDF supplier would expect a host to have running in order to support their product?
>
> We run a reasonably standard web service for our customers and I would be very surprised if this was configured in a different manner to the vast majority of other web servers available for public use.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
>
Many thanks, Ian. I competely agree. I'll ask the chap who emailed me tomorrow and see what he says.

Barry
N/A

In the case of all creators, only the correct PDF MIME type needs to be sent, so that this feature works.

There are no other requirments, other than to avoiding using download boosters, which will prevent execution until the download is complete.

As with all software, most of these features, require that you also have a reader that supports such a feature. Though acrobat has supported this for some time, thus may not be of issue.

I have heard of some HTTP headers, that cause issue with tohers, though I have never had a issue with Plus.Net (having hosted some third-party linear PDFs).

My sugestion, would be to download a linear PDF fromt he web, then upload it to your plus.net space, to disproove the hosting issue (visit the drivers section, for the likes of your motherboard, as most mobo makers have there PDF's ion linea format).

If this fails, then I sugest looking at any .htaccess files, to confirm that there are no adiitionaly added headers.
Barry_Doe
Grafter

FOR: IAN WILD please

Ian,

I said I would come back after I had heard from my pdf Creator. They said this morning that all the details are on the following site:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/acrobat/byteserve/byteservmain.html

I have read it and it does say what is needed and what servers need to do.

Did you also see the message from Philip Richardson on this topic below my reply? I confess I didn't really understand the technical side but you will. I'll look foerward to hearing.

Many thanks,

Barry
N/A

> FOR: IAN WILD please
>
> Ian,
>
> I said I would come back after I had heard from my pdf Creator. They said this morning that all the details are on the following site:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/techguides/acrobat/byteserve/byteservmain.html
>
> I have read it and it does say what is needed and what servers need to do.
>
> Did you also see the message from Philip Richardson on this topic below my reply? I confess I didn't really understand the technical side but you will. I'll look foerward to hearing.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Barry

Hi Barry,

We run Apache 1.3.26. The site doesn't go into much detail about specific version numbers, but I would imagine based on what it says that the Webserver is not the problem.

I really want to help with this one, but unless I know what it is thats wrong it makes it very hard to fix!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support