cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line transfer

N/A

Line transfer

I am moving address and wish to have my ADSL line transfered to the new tel number. I was told by tel. support that I had to raise a ticket. Why couldn't this be done by phone, as having (I believe) given all the info in writing on the site, it is bound to go wrong.

To start with, there was no particular ticket category which related to my "query", which is not a query, but a notification (of change of contact details) and a request (turn off the ADSL at old address, turn it on at new address). I pray to the I.T.patron saint that nor my account nor the content of my website will not be erased.

For such a procedure, it is so much easier and reassuring and therefore (customer) satisfying to be able to talk to a human, so that you are sure that you understand one another.

Also, as the enabling of the ADSL on the new line won't be instant, in between am I able to use the 0845 service, i.e. will the 0845 computer recognise me, or will I have to go to an Internet café?
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Line transfer

>Why couldn't this be done by phone, as having (I believe) given all the info in writing on the site, it is bound to go wrong.

> For such a procedure, it is so much easier and reassuring and therefore (customer) satisfying to be able to talk to a human, so that you are sure that you understand one another.

Hi there,

The reason that we ask that this be done in writing is that this proves that the request comes from you, and we have the record of this on file for subsequent reference.
In addition, this is especially important where payments are involved (as in this case) - we then have a record of exactly what you stated at the time.

> Also, as the enabling of the ADSL on the new line won't be instant, in between am I able to use the 0845 service, i.e. will the 0845 computer recognise me, or will I have to go to an Internet café?

You should be able to log in via 0845 with no problems Smiley

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> The reason that we ask that this be done in writing is that this proves that the request comes from you, and we have the record of this on file for subsequent reference.

Why though, this is kind of confusing to me.

I regualy use a BTO DSL connection to view and send tickets to +Net (soon to change, +net will be our choice here soon too).

Phone:
Security phrase is asked. This is usualy more secure than a user password, as it isn't used in everyday pratice.

Web:
Username and password. Easy to sniff and obtain through trojans.

Don't get we wrong, I understand the benefit of using a web-broswer to store all records in a ticketing system (hell, it's even a way for customer support to be very very very angry at a customer, that they can shout very loud while the conversation remains tame).

But the phone offers more security in situations like this.

Aditionaly, a username and password signin, from an IP address on BTO doesn't prove sombody says who they say there are.

Where the passphrase and the CLI of a phone call does. All support have to do, is request a user to redial support, forcing CLI forwarding, should they normaly not send it.
N/A

> > The reason that we ask that this be done in writing is that this proves that the request comes from you, and we have the record of this on file for subsequent reference.
>
> Why though, this is kind of confusing to me.
>

Hi,

This is mainly for legal reasons - should any dispute arise, we have the proof of your version of events (we do not record every phone call, but tickets are archived indefinitely) and also the fact that you will have read and understood what we have stated previously on a ticket with regards to any payments for example.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----