cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Length

N/A

Line Length

Hi can anyone tell me the website were i can test the length of my line to the BT exchange.....Many Thanks........ Cheesy
17 REPLIES
N/A

Line Length

Hi there,

I am not sure about testing the actual length of your line.
But here is a link to a place which will tell you the straight line length (obviously not the dead cert actual length)
Samknows

Regards,
jimmcginty
Grafter

Line Length

Cheesy
mmmhhhh. Glad I got my 2 Mb connection before BT clamped
down. According to Sam Knows I'd be lucky to get 512 K. I'm
3.93 km from the exchange.

As far as I know my SNR/Attenuation figures would get me at least
1 Mb.

My connection appears stablish, so I guess you should take the
numbers with a pinch of salt.

Jim
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for that looks like Mr Saffon at adsl guide did a good job when plus.net said it can't and have got BT to update there records for my line and the site now says i can have a 2mb line................ Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

So as plus.net have messed me about you reckon i can get plus.net to pay for the update................... :shock:

Thanks all.

Cheers Mr Saffon
N/A

Line Length

You are approximately 374 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

uh but I have ADSL..
Wheelie
Grafter

Line Length

@ martinince

Stupid question but how have plusnet messed you about if BTW say you cannot get 2MB and you yet you believed that the BTW reporter was wrong and got Mr Saffon to fix the reporting problem then surly it was BTW's fault :?
Alecto
Grafter

Line Length

uh but I have ADSL..

And that is why it says:
This could be caused by an existing broadband connection :lol:
N/A

Line Length

Because Plus.Net always said there is no way i could have a 2mb line and there was nothing i could do about it. So i have had to all the research myself to get the problam sorted as all the tests i did and plus.net said my line should be fine for a 2mb but as BTs records were wrong and always turned down the upgrade plus.net said there was nothing they could do.

I'm know it was BTWs fault but why can't plus.net get BTWs records changed instead of messing people about.......:roll:
shellsong
Grafter

Line Length

Because they haven't got a pet BT mole? Tongue
N/A

Line Length

btw wont for any isp update there checcker. Mr Staffon has a contact there that can push button s on to the right people

BTW is a mess!
Wheelie
Grafter

Line Length

No offence martinince

Its no good blaming any ISP for BTW's errors and it sure has nothing to do with any ISP messing anyone around if anything its BTW.

I have seen dozens of posts on AG about the very problem you have and it never ceases to amaze me how many people start blaming ISP's for this problem saying my ISP should be doing this that and the next thing to fix it.

As far as I am aware ISP's have very little say as to what a customer can and cannot get all they can do is place an order and hope for the best with regards to line speed, if the BTW records say 1MB then thats it. Mr Saffon does seem to have the ability to have some peoples records amended but that is not always the case and there are still a lot of people who think they can get higher speeds and will not regardless what anyone does.
N/A

Line Length

Fair point............... :?

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is unnecessary]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Line Length

The good news is that situations like this will shortly become things of the past thanks to DSL Max as lines will sync up at the maximum speed they'll support. So if in the past it's been rejected wrongly for 2Mbps then you'll get the faster speed under DSL Max, or if it was correct then the line may get 1.5Mbps.
Alecto
Grafter

Line Length

shortly .

Go on Dave, give us a clue. :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Line Length

Because of the ways DSL Max works (LLU uses similar technology) it doesn't matter what the BT guestimator says your line will support as it will work exactly what speed a line can support and sync at that.

So if BT say 1Mbps, previously you'd get 1Mbps and no more, but the technology within DSL Max will ensure you get the speed your line will support instead.