cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Attenuation Readings

N/A

Those are good stats Paul, almost identical to mine.
Been on Max for over a month now and although it took about 3 weeks for my profile to move from 2000, to 8000 I can now download at around 7mbps at less contended times.
19 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.5 db 7.5 db
Noise Margin 13.0 db 23.0 db

those are my stats from a netgear router and i'm just wondering if my line att and noise margin readings are good enough to get more than the 2.5mbps which i'm currently recieving. I've read in a few posts that some users have SNR of 40+db.
N/A

how long have you been on MaxDSL? its likely your BRAS profile is still at 2mbit which it will be for the first 3-5 days of the initial test period, it will then be upped.

but for DSL max, they are very good stats, i wouldnt worry too much
chymorva
Grafter

Re: Line Attenuation Readings

...and i'm just wondering if my line att and noise margin readings are good enough to get more than the 2.5mbps which i'm currently recieving.

They are good stats. You are connected at 8Mb. Your speed will increase when the system settles down Cheesy
N/A

I got Line Attenuation of 63db and my broadband is rubbish Cheesy
N/A

I have the same noise margin as you and my connection has settled down to around 6.2MB

N/A

Hi all,

These are my stats....are they good for more than 1500 which i get now?
I've been max'd for a month now, my modem says 8128 and my stable rate from PN IS 8000.

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 5.1 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 11.4 7.5 dB
Errored Seconds 8 1
Loss of Signal 2 2
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 8128 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

Is there some other factor that is stopping me from achieving higher speeds?

Thanks Tom
N/A

what i dont get is why my line Attenuation is so high even tho i am only 1.4km from the exchange.
Community Veteran

It could be your copper lines are very old and coroded. Your lines is made up from many smaller pieces of copper joined together, it is the joints that each add up in resistance.

You could, one day find you have total loss of service as one of the old joints/terminal fails. The repair may give you a great line ... keep dreaming. Wink

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
lunarjetman
Grafter

what i dont get is why my line Attenuation is so high even tho i am only 1.4km from the exchange.

Is that as the crow flies? What matters is cable kilometres. I'm 3.47km from my exchange as the crow flies but 5.1km in cable kilometres.

If you dial 17070 there is an option (I think it's option 3) that will tell you how far away you are.
N/A

Hi Mike,

Sorry but i can't answer that question, I am only 300 meters from the exchange but still get duff speeds.
When i contacted PN about it after the upto 2mb upgrade they fobbed me of with " it's as much as your line can support" or something along those lines.

Or am I missing something about these line stats?

tom
N/A

Can be many factor, poor degrading cabling, connections in the street boxes, length of cable.

Are you sure you are on the exchange 1.5km away. I live only 0.5km from an exchange but I'm not on that one but one which is 3.9km away.

Have you tried plugging your router directly in the master socket? Also others have seen improvements after a BT engineer have rewired the master socket. i.e poor termination when the original master socket installed.
Community Veteran

It would be opening up a whole new can of worms but, is it possible for someone eg plusnet or someone else in the know to publish a table with

Examples of:

Sync rate down:A
Sync rate up: B
Path Mode C
Downstream Attn: D
Downstream Margin: E
Up stream attn: F
Up Stream Margin: G

Plusnet line speed: H

Expected download speed G

Thus users would ahve a rough idea of what speed their stats can achive and would plusnet would have less tickets to work answer. Obviously there are other factors but this type of table woul help many prople like myself who have sync above 7000kbps and a line speed of 65000Kbps and download speeds of 3000kbps to 4200kbps.

Just a thought.

I'll start the ball rollling:

Sync rate down: 7648
Sync Rate up: 448
Path Mode Fast
Downstream Attn: 47
Downstream Margin: 6
Up stream attn: 24
Up Stream Margin: 26

Plusnet line speed: 6500Kbps

Expected download speed ?
Normal download speed 3000 to 4200Kbps

A
Alecto
Grafter

This Maxrate Predictor does just that.
Community Veteran

Cheers gpattison,

It only appears to work for line pre max not for line after the max transfer.

A