cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits

N/A

Limits

This entire traffic management situation is a complete and utter shambles and i cant work out whats happened to plusnet in the last 2 years or so i have been a customer- its a complete mess. anyway ranting aside, can somebody please clarify how much i can download between the hours of midnight till 8am per month (i am on a premier upto 8mbit account). do not point me to the traffic management help page as it is just plain confusing.

thanks,

another annoyed plusnet customer.
30 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Limits

The total ammount you can transfer in a month is covered by the SUP Though obviously the traffic management page is relevant, if you're wanting to make use of a large ammount of p2p/ftp/nntp during the peak hours.
Grimbo
Grafter

Limits

Plusnet appear to have a business model which flies in the face of the changing world of the internet!

As the internet and its users are turning to streaming/downloading media and software updates, Plusnet want their users to stick with web surfing.

Their business model does not cater for high bandwidth users at a time when high bandwidth use is becoming the norm!

It seems that they have chosen to fight their users rather than embrace them.
N/A

Limits

Their business model does not cater for high bandwidth users at a time when high bandwidth use is becoming the norm!

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Firstly the figures released by the UserGroup show that high bandwidth users are in the minority. The majority of Plus Net customers use 10GB or less per month.

Look at the number of customers throughout the UK on ADSL products with other providers who are on very low usage cap products.

Also look at how many UK ISP's which are having to take action against the 1% or so of high bandwidth users.

So it is not becoming the norm, far from it, they are in the minority.
N/A

Limits

Have to disagree i'm afraid.

What with the soon to be lauched BBC tv service via broadband that lets you watch all your programmes for up to 7 days after broadcast, Skys new skybtbroadband service, electronic arts and valve all distributing DVD games via the internet and not through shops, new broadband phone services, digital video cameras meaning events being sent over the internet etc... It's all adding up to an increased useage per user.

Example wise, i've downloaded HL2 from valve onto a different pc last week. That added with the update to let me play it on-line would actually kick me over the monthly limit for a 'plus' account if i had one.
N/A

Limits

You don't agree with the Chief Executive's own assessment then, of how Broadband will develop and what customers will expect? See particularly, page 6.

PlusNet Annual Report 2004

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Shortened long url as it was stretching the page]
N/A

Limits

ok thanks for the reply jwhiting, i understand the SUP, which is fair enough, and made adjustments to download out of peak times, however i then received an email telling me peak time management had been applied, which is what confused me, as i thought i had adjusted my downloading to offpeak times, but low and behold i find plusnet have introduced a 2nd sneaky cap which seems to have completely different peak times.

i'am reading the traffic management page again but it is extremely confusing, too many different peak times, caps etc. i consider myself fairly literate with computers and i am finding the whole situation confusing, god knows how anyone who isnt to good with computers will grasp the situation.

basically, if i schedule all downloads which use usenet/p2p/ftp to between the hours of midnight and 8am i will be fine, and as i understand, you may use upto 200gb per month. If ive got this wrong, could somebody please clarify it for me.

i want to try and comply with Plusnets policies, but as they are ever changing its very difficult and very confusing. since Febuary 2003 ive had nothing but a great service but these last 6 months or so have been terrible, i really dont want to move away from Plusnet but with all this hassle and messing around it looks like i may have to. This is no longer the small, friendly, customer focused isp i signed up for DSL with nearly 3 years ago, its a shame, plusnet have really lost touch.

just my thoughts.
N/A

Limits

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Firstly the figures released by the UserGroup show that high bandwidth users are in the minority. The majority of Plus Net customers use 10GB or less per month.

Look at the number of customers throughout the UK on ADSL products with other providers who are on very low usage cap products.

Also look at how many UK ISP's which are having to take action against the 1% or so of high bandwidth users.

Was that straight out of the PlusNet CS induction handbook :shock:

Do PlusNet only want low usage customers, whatever you say 10GB PM is low usage, especially when you have two teenage children a wife and four computers networked for internet usage

Our usage is approx 70GB per month well within SUP and IMHO not high usage at all

I'm not against SUP,FUP etc and I can understand the need for some sort of control and I think maybe PlusNet have set it about right for the Premier product at this time, but any further erosion of usage levels will be a different story

Edited for some awful spelling :shock:
Community Veteran

Limits

Do PlusNet only want low usage customers, whatever you say 10GB PM is low usage, especially when you have two teenage children a wife and four computers networked for internet usage

You have just sumed up the situation at my home and as yet I have never exceeded 10GB usage per month.
N/A

Limits

Lucky you is is there any need for you to have four PC's conected for such low usage......
N/A

Limits

i too am not against the SUP etc, and yes there has to be some sort of control, otherwise people will be downloading 24/7 and its simply not feasible for plusnet to cater for that, however i think that they have to realistic with the cap, and with connections becoming faster and faster such a low cap is useless. what use is say an 8mbit connection when you can only use it for its full capacity for a couple of hours? its like buying a porsche and driving around at 20mph, you might aswell buy a mini metro!
N/A

Limits

You don't agree with the Chief Executive's own assessment then

I dont see what I have posted contradicts that in any way.

Firstly, that statement was made in 2004 and much has changed since then.

However lets look at some of the salient points mentioned on the page you quoted..

important progress has been made in the further development of
PlusNet to take advantage of the future opportunities and meet
the challenges presented by the Broadband market. The next few
years will see the emergence of new Broadband enabled
products and services, with appeal, availability and pricing to
drive significant demand in the residential and business markets.
PlusNet intends to be a leader in delivering a broad choice of
these new products and services to market

And this is exactly where Plus Net are currently at. They are gearing up for the new products and services. They are building the network and ensuring that it is sustainable so that the new products and services can be delivered. In doing so they are ensuring that we as customers will benefit from the measures being implimented along the way.

The implementation of their strategies have been far from perfect and much pain has been caused and indeed felt along the way. But the goals remain the same and the end result will be delivered.

So no, I do not disagree with the statement, I applaud it.
Community Veteran

Limits

Lucky you is is there any need for you to have four PC's conected for such low usage......

Yes!
One of them I am using on this forum right now. Two of the others are always in use on that "World Worcraft" game which needs an inernet connection and the 4th is used by my wife, and also this damned game when my daughters boyfriend turns up and also connects to the "World of Warcraft"

Its probably costing me more in electricity than I pay Plusnet for ADSL Sad
N/A

Limits

Will have to get the kids into games instead of music, and film clips.....
Community Veteran

Limits

Yes I am actually surprized at how little is used considering the amount of time that thay spend on the damn thing.