cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting users who are within product specifications

Community Veteran

I have just been made aware of another user who has had a response on a ticket which although wordy says:

You use the services quite a lot at peak time, so we are slowing your connection down.

Now here is the really strange bit. This user is within the sustainable usage levels set out for their product.

It was also hinted that the reason my connection slowed to 1/10th of BT speedetest speed at peak times was also due to excessive usage for the product. Though when I look at the table on this page:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

I was also well within the sustainable usage limits.

Can Plusnet answer this with a yes or no....

Are customers having their peak time speeds artificially limited even though they are using the product within published acceptable/sustainable limits?
164 REPLIES
N/A

Hmm...im confused. Plusnet have stated
"We are not throttling individual accounts before advertised limits."
Yet they have also admitted they ARE throttling the top 6% of users many of whom ARE within the advertised limits.

A complete contradiction.
Community Veteran

And the response on a ticket to someone who has contacted me also states that they should expect reduced speeds at peak time because their usage is higher than average at that time, even though again, they are within the published acceptable usage levels for their product.

Would be nice to get a definite yes or no though...
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Limiting users who are within product specifications

Are customers having their peak time speeds artificially limited even though they are using the product within published acceptable/sustainable limits?

The short answer to that is no, however you do need to take into account a few things first. Remember that the sustainable usage levels are seperate to the peak time usage allowances so a customer can hit the peak time figures and see a reduction in speed but not reach the sustainable figures in the SUP.

Also binary usenet traffic and P2P on Broadband Plus is at the lowest priority on the network so again the speeds on this will be reduced, particularly at peak times even if you don't hit any of the usage limits.

I would also point to the service status updates regarding the traffic management:

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1166030333.htm

and you can go back through the history using the links at the top of each post as there's a lot of information in there as well and again as you can see some customers are/have been seeing reduced speeds because of what's going on here.

As noted in service status some of the gateways have different levels of performance so couple that with exchange contention and the other issues and it all adds up. And then couple that with the redistribution of bandwidth on the network and you may find that some things are a little slower than they were before but in the main the interactive stuff, the web browsing and the latency sensitive stuff should be better than it was before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well we got an official "no we're not" answer in another thread following the comments which preceded and contradicted this. Seems even PlusNet themselves are not sure of the answer. Evidence (as in your case Chesterfield) seems to suggest otherwise.

Why do I get the feeling this thread is going to be left to die?

Probably relying on the fact that once your migration has gone through, no-one will bring this up again Evil
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nope I tell a lie, we have a response Cheesy

That doesn't exactly explain the OP's constant slow speeds though doesn't it? Was the OP's many postings on this just not read or ignored?
N/A

Re: Limiting users who are within product specifications

The short answer to that is no,

So what exactly does this mean?

Yes, as you're more than 300% above the average on your product, in the top 6% of customers on Plus and touching or breaching the allowance levels the platform would automatically be shaping your traffic at peak times

What are you doing to the 'top 6% of customers' lines, and how are you classifying the top 6%, and how do we know whether we are in the top 6% or not and what the additional restrictions are?

If we qualify for the top 6% and are not near the SUP, AUP, FUP limits, do additional restrictions apply as well as normal traffic shaping?

Am I in the top 6%?

What's going on?
Community Veteran

First we had the "Chesterfield 4".

Now its looks like we have the "Chesterfield 6%"

Chilly
10crawford
Grafter

From a number of plusnet posts recently they refer to the differences between the gateways. There doesn't seem to be any action or perceived need to sort this problem out. Given that it can take a number of attempts by a customer to change gateways it is not reasonable to expect customer to do this in the longer term.

I am also frustrated at the continuing lack of speed specifically on usenet binaries at peak times.

I will delay until the new year but will probably move my custom elsewhere to an ISP who wants to provide a quality broadband service rather than one that continues to go downhill.
N/A

Theres not much they can do about some gateways being more/less congested than other ones.
Its our faults for having routers connected to the net all the time. Wink

At the time of connection, you are routed to the least congested gateway - but if you stay connected 24/7 you don't get the chance - you just stay on the same gateway till you next disconnect/reconnect.

Makes it look like its worth re-connecting every time before you want to use t'internet.
N/A

Shouldn't the long answer also be no?

If you are not doing it, then you are not doing it no matter how many words are used. Saying that the short answer is no implies that the long answer is something other than no (ie yes).
shellsong
Grafter

When are they going to stop persecuting people for being in the top x%? There will always be a top 6% and a bottom 6% and lots of other "6%s" in between-- As the famous Eccles used to say, "Everybody's got to be somewhere!". Get rid of the top 6% and you'll still have a top 6% until you run out of customers, which might not be long at this rate!

Clearly PlusNet have learnt nothing of the properties of Power Laws over the past year either-- 20% of a given population will always use 80% of available resources unless someone is stupid enough to try and control the resources to the extent that equal amounts get issued to everyone regardless of desires or needs
Community Veteran

Just because someone is in the top 6% does not necesarily meanthey are breaching the SUP or peak time limits.

Last month my usage was well within the peak time limits, and this month I am within the limits, so why is my traffic being managed at peak times??!?!??

Also, I have usage information from a Premier Option 2 user who has been well within their usage limits for the last quarter, yet has been told in a ticket because they are one of the highest users of that particular product, they are having their speed throttled at peak times.

So - would you care to address the point of my personal usage being withn the published limits, yet having speed throttled at peak times.

Also Ill have a word with the other user in question and see if they wish to post up their usage and the ticket response.

Plusnet can either admit, of their own accord, limiting people who use the product within usage levels - or the proof can be laid out here and on other forums....
N/A

Also..is it the top 6% from the previous week? month? quarter? 6months?

This is just going too far now, and is surely very questionable legally.
N/A

Does this mean I now have to amend my sig to cover a higher percentage?