cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit "kids" download speed

N/A

Anyone have a quick and easy way of limting the download speed of "kids" pcs? Mine managed to download just over 3Gb yesterday between 4pm and midnight! :shock:
Switching off their PCs is not an option....
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 115

How about disabling their internet access - remove the ethernet cable after a certain amount of time on-line?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Controlling the speed or QoS (Quality of service) as it is call is possible, but not really practical in a home network.

Routers such as the Dratek Vigor range I believe may provide this function, but you are looking at £150+

What hardware are you using currently, you may be able work around to prevent excessive usage such as preventing P2P.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Depending on your account type you may be able to use plusnets "surf" settings to prevent P2P;
https://portal.plus.net/surf/

Chilly
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

If you are sufficently techy could use a packet sniffer to see what kind of traffic is going out on the network and block ports for activities like P2P on your router firewall. This isn't straightforward, so using the PlusNet P2P blocking option that chillypenguin cited is probably best for standard home users.
N/A

There traffice shows as web downloads on the usage meter and I've just got a basic netgear wireless adsl router. I use the term "kids" but they are teenagers/young adults. I don't mind them using the web in the evenings I just want to slow them down a bit before plusnet does!

I have a 6Mb download speed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Could be something like YouTube or MySpace these would be picked up as web traffic but can eat bandwidth. I did a bit of testing the other week to see what sites use up and it was quite surprising, YouTube probably runs around 200MB per hour but MySpace can easily be as much as 400MB per hour and something like Google maps even more at 450MB. At the really high end were Apple HD trailers, a 2.5 minute Rush Hour 3 1080p trailer is about 190MB.

For controlling the usage if it's all web traffic then one suggestion is a proxy server. I use Squid proxy server on Debian, not the easiest thing in the world to set up but it's an idea.
Community Veteran

If you have a Netgear DG834 then is can be set to block sites by key word. Could I suggest that you use this feature to block keywords relating to teenagers/young adults interests Shockedops:

If you also set it to log the access attempts, you will be able to see what addresses they are visiting.

Don't forget to set a very strong password for the administrator, or they will just hack the router.

Chilly
pacem
Grafter

I use the bandwidth filter on my Billion BIPAC-7400. The QoS settings allow inbound and outbound bandwidth throttling to the nearest 32kbs and prioritisation based on IP address range (in or out) and/or port range (in or out).

The current revision is £70 but I'm sure they do other routers that have bandwidth throttling withing their QoS config section.
http://billion.shopmagenta.com/store/product/NB7402R2.aspx

You may also try www.solwise.co.uk as they used to use billion chipsets. I bet you can find one that'll do the job for under £40. (I bought my Billion router (Solwise branded) from them, they're very helpful and I'm sure will be able to tell you which of their routers do the job yohu require.

Paul.<><
salts
Grafter

The Netgear router can easily be reset to factory defaults (including the password), so you would also need to put the router under lock and key to stop them reseting it and reprogramming the settings.

Likewise how hard is it to disconnect the Ethernet connection from the bandwidth limiting Debian router and plug it back into the ADSL router directly?

I think your best solution is to buy more bandwidth Smiley
N/A

Would it not be better to educate the children to be responsible users of the net rather than punitive restrictions. A far better solution. My children, and I have 4. myself and my wife do not have excessive use.
By the way, I have children, not kids, goats have kids Wink
James
Grafter

I thought goats had kidds Smiley

I can definitely agree with educating them about internet usage, but children being children, do not always do what they are told!
The_10th
Grafter

The Netgear router can easily be reset to factory defaults (including the password), so you would also need to put the router under lock and key to stop them reseting it and reprogramming the settings...

That is one solution but they would find it hard to connect to the internet without username/password. Anything like this would mean VERY limited access to internet - zero!