cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limewire - How to stop

N/A

Limewire - How to stop

Just wondering if anyone has any idea's of how I can stop my housemate using Limewire, he's not only downloading a lot, but he's utterly killing the connection at times.

He knows enough to use either uPnP, or to assign manual ports, and then change rules on the router himself, so I can't see a way of stopping it - if I block the ports he uses he just changes them.

Have asked him to stop downloading so much, but its fallen on deaf ears. Any suggestions are welcome.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Limewire - How to stop

Have you tried Plusnets surf control which can be found in Connection settings?

This is what it says:

Worried about bandwidth-hungry applications such as peer to peer (P2P) software or binary newsgroups being used on your account? Then activate the Surf option. With Surf turned on you can still access the web, chat, email and play online games but access to P2P and binary newsgroups is restricted – giving you security and added peace of mind.
N/A

Limewire - How to stop

Well..that seems rather restrictive, I don't mind people (4 people share the connection) using peer to peer during off peak times.

A temporary solution at the very least however, thanks.
N/A

Re: Limewire - How to stop

Just wondering if anyone has any idea's of how I can stop my housemate using Limewire, he's not only downloading a lot, but he's utterly killing the connection at times

Have you tried a punch to the head?

If you don't want to go down the violence route tell him he'll have to get his own Broadband line installed and he can pay for it himself and the other people using the line fairly can pay a bit extra.

Get him told!
_lecro_
Grafter

:lol: :lol:

If that dont work why not just change the password to the router admiin :?
N/A

Limewire - How to stop

get a router that allows QoS like the safecoms. Put a good password on the router. That way you can let hin use peer to peer but only give him 20% (or whatever you set) of the avail bandwidth.

The safecom lets you do this per ip address, per port any other variations.

Best £50 I've spent in a while, as my downloads/surfing don't affect my VOIP much any more.
OldDave
Grafter

Limewire - How to stop

If he is not going to listen u have a problem.

But you can set the maximum upload and download speed on Limewire
if you are just surfing rather than downloading we found that a modest reduction in download and upload speed, say to 80% of max enabled us to surf OK.
ID
Grafter

Limewire - How to stop

Could try a prog such as http://www.netlimiter.com/
I have never used it so idk if its exactly what you need
mrchalk
Grafter

I can confirm that this always works a treat. You will find that somewhere around the nasal region seems to work best Cheesy
Lorian
Grafter

QoS is cheaper than ABH.
mrchalk
Grafter

QoS is cheaper than ABH.

But nowhere near as satisfying & a slightly more complicated & drawn out process... :lol:
Discostoo
Grafter

Limewire - How to stop

Wirecutters are available for about £1.99 from all good hardware stores...
N/A

Limewire - How to stop

even cheeper than wire cutters... unplug the cable!
Discostoo
Grafter

Limewire - How to stop

Correct. i wanna see the punch option first though. Or he could say that the ISP knows exactly what he's been downloading... Left-Handed keyboards are so passe...