cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lights out testing of VMBU

N/A

Hi Plusnet

Just to let you know I am turning off my router in a minute.

So hopefully I will not see any traffic overnight IF your meters are working. (Numerous posts suggest they are NOT).

This action is part of an audit I am carrying out.

I will report here tomorrow with your readings.
15 REPLIES
N/A

OK here it is. Modem switched OFF at 23:45 on Tuesday 18th and switched back on at 09:22 on the 19th. So the VMBU traffic should be a big fat zero.

This is what it actually showed:

---------------------Mon17------Tue18 Wed19 Thu20
Paid-for usage--28.86MB---86.64MB-----0KB -
Free usage--------7.94MB---8.14MB ---0KB -
Total----------------36.8MB----94.77MB----0KB -

In addition to the other posts I think this conclusively proves that the VMBU is not accurate, could this be the reason that Plusnet increased the usage limits as they new they had a problem?

The question now is how bad is the problem, I had 2gb of EXTRA data which I am now expected to pay for. In my business something is accurate or it is NOT, if not we don't trust it for anything.

Out of interest I had a look at the old VMBU at
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/viewmy_broadband_monthly.html

It does not show peak and offpeak, but the total for Tue18th was also 94.77MB, so also can't be trusted as this total includes the 8mb that was recorded when my router was off.

I do not have webhosting so how is this 8mb of traffic explained?

The thing is I am on PAYG, I am happy to pay for what I use but how can I trust a meter that records traffic when my router is OFF? I am supposed to pay for what I use not for what some other kit generates (probably Plusnet kit).

Plusnet told me yesterday it gets this data from BT, then why can't it raise it as an issue with them. As my contract is with Plusnet and they seem unwilling to respond responsibly in this matter (over 500 posts about VMBU) I feel forced to raise this issue with ISPA, OTELO, the OFT/Trading Standards, and OFCOM whose framework agreement says that ISP's are obliged to provide PAYG customers with accurate usage data.

I think Plusnet should simply suspend charging for traffic until it can show a VMBU that stands up to audit.
James
Grafter

Hi there,

As you switched your router off just before we moved into Wednesday, and your VMBU is showing no data for Wednesday, I would suggest that the data you are saying is indeed correct.
costich
Grafter

It is probably the case that you used the 8.14 mB before you switched off, but then delays in reading the meters caused PN to attribute this into the free period. Therefore, the error has been in your favour, and won't attract much sympathy.

However, you do have a point that this uncertainty in start/stop times for the free period are making customers suspicious that the whole measuring system is up the creek. This might be an opportunity for PN to clarify how the system works, what the timing uncertainties are, and therefore when the free period can be guaranteed to start and stop.
N/A

It seems that Plusnet make up their own rules of audit. Look if I switch off my router at 11:45 and have not even used the network since 5pm I expect the VMBU to show traffic for the appropriate time.

If James is saying that traffic was generated beforee 11pm it should be allocated to the approriate time period. Personally I think it is a lame excuse and not even accurate.

If you were told you had free calls after midnight would you want to be charged for calls you made at 11pm?

The router was OFF I used NOTHING, it is PLUSNET's system that is at fault, the question is, how bad is this fault? If we are paying for a "hum on the line" then surely that is happening all day?

Why is it that Plusnet does not take this issue seriously when there are over 500 posts and several people with between 2 and 3gb extra traffic.

Today I got another message from the CS that contradicted the previous message. The first one said they got the figures from BT the second said they did not.
wheelnut
Grafter

While there will be no traffic FROM your router through the PlusNET network, regardless of whether your router is on or not - or even if you have no line connected between you and your local exchange - you will still get random internet traffic routed through PlusNET aimed at your IP address. The fact that there is no response at all from your end is irrelevant - the target (your) IP address is still consuming bandwidth because of these extraneous packets and will be logged as downloaded data by PlusNET.
Community Veteran

... I feel forced to raise this issue with ISPA, OTELO, the OFT/Trading Standards, and OFCOM whose framework agreement says that ISP's are obliged to provide PAYG customers with accurate usage data.

This issue bothers me but lets be rational. I suspect PN do have accurate usage data, in so much that they know the total data transferred over your ADSL connection. What they do have a problem with is knowing exactly WHEN that data is transferred.

Assuming I can download at 200KB/s, in one hour I can download about 0.7GB. It is one hour that is the possible margin for error in starting and stopping the accounting for off-peak usage. So in a 30day month this is about 20GB. Have I got my KB and GB conversions correct? Sad

Do I download 24hours per day, no I do not, so I am unlikely to get this kind of error in practice. But it shows the errors can easily add up.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

No no no, i think james is right....!

On TUESDAY NIGHT you turned the router off... meaning the free time for WEDNESDAY MORNING should be zero.

The vmbu figures you have pasted shows mon = 36.8, tue = 94.7 and wed = 0.
tangey
Grafter

you turned your router off 15 minutes before wednesday began, and lo, there is no usage data for Wednesday...where is the problem ?? You seem to be concetrating on the 8M of data, and yet do not acknowledge that the whole time the router was off on Wed, the VBMU correctly recorded zilch.
N/A

While there will be no traffic FROM your router through the PlusNET network, regardless of whether your router is on or not - or even if you have no line connected between you and your local exchange - you will still get random internet traffic routed through PlusNET aimed at your IP address. The fact that there is no response at all from your end is irrelevant - the target (your) IP address is still consuming bandwidth because of these extraneous packets and will be logged as downloaded data by PlusNET.

You forgot to explain why I shoudl be payiong for that, it is not my usage, I can't be expected to pay for what I do not use.
N/A

you turned your router off 15 minutes before wednesday began, and lo, there is no usage data for Wednesday...where is the problem ?? You seem to be concetrating on the 8M of data, and yet do not acknowledge that the whole time the router was off on Wed, the VBMU correctly recorded zilch.

If it stays like that tomorrow (assuming I leave the router on tonight) then fine. However, it does not help the numerous people who have turned off the router for 3 weeks and still had traffic reported.
pacem
Grafter

It looks to me like PN could solve 90% of these usage problem complaints by changing their reporting interface slightly.

If they put the free usage first and stated it was from 00:00 whateverday morning to 08:00/16:00 the same day, and THEN put the paid-for usage. people might get the picture.

e.g.

Mon17 Tue18 Wed19 ...etc
Free usage (00:00-08:00) 7.94MB 8.14MB 0KB
Paid-for usage (08:00-24:00) 28.86MB 86.64MB 0KB
Total 36.8MB 94.77MB 0KB

And if that isn't enough then an hour by hour graph may be better. The cost in coding it may well pay for all the bogus support time wasted.

Paul.<><
N/A

pacem

e.g.
Code:

Mon17 Tue18 Wed19 ...etc
Free usage (00:00-08:00) 7.94MB 8.14MB 0KB
Paid-for usage (08:00-24:00) 28.86MB 86.64MB 0KB
Total 36.8MB 94.77MB 0KB

And if that isn't enough then an hour by hour graph may be better. The cost in coding it may well pay for all the bogus support time wasted.

If an hour by hour graph, with types of usage as well as numbers was supplied, I think that would reduce the numbers of CS calls regarding VMBU.. and show up any area where it was innacurate.

Maybe it would be a good idea to bring this up in the Usergroup? http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/
tangey
Grafter

If it stays like that tomorrow (assuming I leave the router on tonight) then fine. However, it does not help the numerous people who have turned off the router for 3 weeks and still had traffic reported.

I don't have the problem, but I assume that as there are plenty of people complaining, there either is a problem, or the VBMU is not presenting the data in a way that it can be understoof

However, your conclusion from your test was that it proved that there was a problem, whereas the data clearly proves that there WASNT a problem, i.e. you turn off your router, and the VBMU didn't record any data. How did you make the conclusion otherwise ?

DId you leave the router off subsequently, if so what was the VMBU data ?
lingbob
Grafter

I don't have the problem, but I assume that as there are plenty of people complaining, there either is a problem, or the VBMU is not presenting the data in a way that it can be understoof

No problem with the presentation as far as I'm concerned Smiley