cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light usage restriction = Reduction to 4% of normal speed!

benskia
Grafter

Hi,

Okay, I've just now gone over the 13gig monthly limit, but a new month starts for me tommorrow anyways.

However, I noticed that web surfing has drastically reduced in speed since receiving the e-mail to say I am going to have a 'light' restriction applied to my account.

I've just checked the speed test and its come back with a result of 256 kbps. The most recent test I had performed prior to this restriction gave me a result of 6368 kbps.

So, I work this out as my speed being reduced to around 4% of what I would normally experience. Not exactly a 'light' restriction in my view!
12 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

Have you run a BT Speedtest?
benskia
Grafter

no
James
Grafter

Then I suggest trying Smiley

http://speedtester.bt.com
suec45
Grafter

I htink this is not down to restriction, but more that everyone i seeing dire speeds the past 2 days.
My fp upload speed is 3k.
Community Veteran

Isn't the limit for light restriction supposed to be 16-17Gb now, to go with the new 20Gb serious limit?
benskia
Grafter

Dunno folks, but I got the e-mail saying I'd exceeded 13gb, and so now I'm being nobbled.
N/A

Dunno folks, but I got the e-mail saying I'd exceeded 13gb, and so now I'm being nobbled.

nobbled you are .... 256... lol this is the speed that you can expect to see when the BT WS software has kicked in at what plusnet set the restrictions at... no one other than them behind the scene can confirm that fact so no use speaking to tech!! they are only frontline agents.

I would suggest that you reduce your downloads as they appear "extream" and no ISP can afford to support your downloads!!

stop downloading and start surfing! you will soon be ok.
What exactly are you downloading? Is it Illegal copies of movies? software? music? If it is then you are already breaking the law and no point in complaining about being restricted!

mal
N/A

I would suggest that you reduce your downloads as they appear "extream" and no ISP can afford to support your downloads!!

He Pays for 20G so how can his downloads be excessive.....

PN designed the product and even upped the limits not that long ago...
N/A

He Pays for 20G so how can his downloads be excessive.....

PN designed the product and even upped the limits not that long ago...

maybe PN have a problem with the set speed? Maybe the user is using much more than the product can support? maybe plusnet can advise us if they are watching this thread?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

On Premier level 1 peak time management comes in at 13GB of peak time usage (a warning email should be sent around 11GB to let you know you are approaching 13GB but no other action is taken until you get to 13GB). At which point peak time speeds are reduced to a maximum of 2Mbps with P2P/Usenet/FTP moved to the bronze queue with a maximum speed of 256kbps.

Level 2 peak time management comes in at 17GB and reduces speeds to maximum of 1Mbps with P2P/Usenet/FTP reduced to 128kbps.

Level 3 comes in at 20GB and reduces speeds to a maximum of 512kbps and blocks P2P/Usenet/FTP.
N/A

I have noticed for new customers your still stating this when you click to check more details for the SUP -

The policy is not a strict usage cap or download limit, but a responsible and measured way of identifying and reacting to unsustainable use. Customers who download too much, will be given a second chance to adjust their usage behaviour before speed restrictions are permanently applied to their service.

Residential Broadband - sustainable peak-time usageProduct Warning email sent Restrictions applied
Premier Option 1 24GB 30GB
Premier Option 2 36GB 45GB
Premier Option 3 48GB 60GB
Plus 10GB 12.5GB

Peak-time is 4pm till Midnight. Peak-times and bandwidth values may change over time as usage patterns change.

The main usage page does state this though -

Network Traffic Management

Broadband Premier comes with a 20GB peak-time (4pm-midnight) usage allowance, with the option of upgrading your allowance should you need more. Option 1
Peak-time usage allowance 20GB
Speeds Up to 8Mb*
(where available)
Price £21.99
benskia
Grafter

Well MalcomK, considering that an average game demo on the xbox360 is 1gb, it doesn't take long to rack up 13gb's of downloads.

And...when I joined plus.net a few years back, the service I signed up for was UNLIMITED, so the 20gb cap kinda sucks for a lot of us that have been around for a while.

Personally, I think broadband ISP's will have to change in the not so distant future anyways. The demand for more and larger downloads will soon be exploding due to on-demand movies and TV over the next couple of years. And once HD-DVD / BlueRay format takes off, the size of movies will increase too.