cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level of 'Traffic Shaping'

N/A

I've been with PlusNet just over 2 weeks now and have been quite happy so far. I do some, but very little P2P, but today, I've noticed something drastic with my P2P transfers.

Although I've a 2MB connection on the premier account, I've never downloaded at more than 70kB/s, but today, I seem to have a very dramatic looking transfer graph that appears to peak at about 35-40kB/s.

What's going on? I'm no way near my 2MB peak even before this strange limit appears in place.

Here's an example of what I mean:

As you can see, my bandwidth was on the increase, but then it all of a sudden starts going all crazy, which from about 6 months of usage, I've never seen before. It's always been a smooth line, never jagged like it is now :?
45 REPLIES
N/A

I've noticed some strange traffic patterns too and I'm only on 0.5Mbit link. There's another thread on here where I posted a traffic graph of a bit torrent download and it maxed out my line, until exactly 9am at which point it then dropped in speed to around the same speed you are describing above (40k/sec) and stayed that way for the remainder of the download.

Another PN user did a similar test and noticed no difference in download speed at all at around the 9am mark (but this was on a different day) so I'm not sure what is going on. But I'm glad my contract is up next month - it's looking more and more likely I will make like a tree and leave as soon as my 12th subscription payment is taken. Cool
N/A

That seems strange to me. I've a 2MB connection and you've a 512 connection, yet our downloads appear to be limited to the same level, 40k/sec?

Now by my calculations (which are very rough), if I was downloading at 240k/sec and it was then limited to 40k/sec, that's not going to increase a 1 hour download by 10 minutes! I'm looking at about a 5 hour download!

I've a feeling my connection is being limited a bit too much, do you agree?
N/A

For a 2Mb link, I would say so - yes.

I don't have the answers though. PN do and PN don't seem to be too forward about revealing exactly what they are up to. Another reason why I'll probably be moving on next month.

The above is the graph I posted on another thread. As you can see, exactly at 9am, the speed drops (and actually is rather eratic a bit like your own graph is showing). There are too many factors to confirm exactly what this is but it looks like traffic shaping to me.
N/A

@paygo

Did you run another test at 9am?
N/A

The thing with my connection is, it doesn't all of a sudden drop at 9AM, it drops after about 30 mins of running my P2P client whatever time of the day. Sad

For example, that screenshot was taken at about 9:15 last night.
Alecto
Grafter

I've not been enormously affected, but have seen some odd performance on P2P like the above, where it shoots up to, say, 200k, then you can watch it getting throttled back to 20 or 30k, then slowly creeping up again. IIt doesn't take ESP to know that they're slowing it down.

This post on ADSL Guide outlines what is going on.
N/A

Did you run another test at 9am?

No - I couldn't find a torrent which was fast like the last one. I'll do another test at some point though.
N/A

N/A

Do you think I should raise a ticket regarding my problems?
N/A

@gpattison

That’s an Interesting read on AG.
N/A

Yes I would raise a ticket.
I think everyone who has a problem should raise a ticket, becuase without this how can PN monitor trends and see where there are common problems?
Also if the number of support issues increases then they have no choice but to employ more support staff to solve the issues meaning a better service for us all. - well thats my opnion.
N/A

Ticket raised, fingers crossed something gets sorted for me.

Ticket: 17305013

I'll keep you posted.
N/A

Yes I would raise a ticket.
I think everyone who has a problem should raise a ticket, becuase without this how can PN monitor trends and see where there are common problems?
Also if the number of support issues increases then they have no choice but to employ more support staff to solve the issues meaning a better service for us all. - well thats my opnion.
Alecto
Grafter

Or they could just activate another pipe and stop slowing us down so much.