cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level Playing Field

N/A

Level Playing Field

At the moment we are not playing on a level field at all. I accept the SUP and I can see the need for Traffic management. The thing that really bugs me is that it is al weighted in favour of PN and not the customer.
Let me explain my point. The SUP is clear for me on my package I can use 30GB during peak period of 4pm to midnight and no more than 100gb in any month. Traffic management is only about P2P, ftp and usenet. which is limited to 20GB from 8am to midnight before i see a reduction in speed. OK
The UNFAIR bit as i see it is that ALL our data is currently counted in 'View My Usage' not just P2P, ftp and usenet. And it would appear that this is the figure used to put an individual on traffic management.
The second UNFAIR element is that while the management is applied relatively quickly once you exceed this amount it takes much longer for the restriction to be lifted after your billing date.
A question i ask is this not unfair terms and conditions within a contract for which we as the consumers have the right to claim recompense which is totally seperate from what is or is not contained in any terms and conditions.
I would like to say I have no problem with the principles involved and I have just been put on level 2 management when my billing date is tomorrow and i am a few MB over my limit for level 1. Its the unfair balance in favour of PN that bugs me. If there are rules we should all keep to them PN and the customers.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Level Playing Field

The UNFAIR bit as i see it is that ALL our data is currently counted in 'View My Usage' not just P2P, ftp and usenet. And it would appear that this is the figure used to put an individual on traffic management.

Incorrect. While the VMBU peak figures do include all traffic, the data used to determin whether you have exceeded the allowance only includes P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic. I think it was a mistake for PN to not have a separate figure just for P2P/Usenet?FTP traffic so peaple can clearly see what their usage is for that type of traffic.

The second UNFAIR element is that while the management is applied relatively quickly once you exceed this amount it takes much longer for the restriction to be lifted after your billing date.

This is because data has to be checked/verified manually and thus can take a few days to complete due to the volume of accounts that pass their billing date each day.

This situation will change once the manual traffic check/reset is automated, and this is expected to be by the end of Feb 2006. Also at the same time, the peak period for P2P/Usenet/FTP will be set the same as SUP (4pm => midnight).

A question i ask is this not unfair terms and conditions within a contract for which we as the consumers have the right to claim recompense which is totally seperate from what is or is not contained in any terms and conditions.

The AUP in the T&C clearly state that traffic management measures can be implemented by PN at any time and thus also applies to it being removed.

I would like to say I have no problem with the principles involved and I have just been put on level 2 management when my billing date is tomorrow and i am a few MB over my limit for level 1. Its the unfair balance in favour of PN that bugs me. If there are rules we should all keep to them PN and the customers.

Is it unfair for a small proportion of users to us a disproportionate amount of the available bandwidth we all have to share. It is this inbalance that PN are trying to correct and they are doing it via the SUP & traffic management as that only affects the heavy downloader and thus allows the lower usage users to get a reliable and fast connection.
N/A

Level Playing Field

so your allowed 100gb a month total or 30gb peak, but if you use more than 11gb which is what the majority use thats unfair. Why have a 100gb limit and why up the limit if you pay for a 8mb account?

Get real plusnet your trying to minimise the amount of bandwidth you buy per acount to reduce costs, this is nothing to do with fairness. This is clear because even on clean useage you cannot get full line speeds as you don't have enough bandwidth to cope with this so still shape traffic. Despite saying raise a ticket and we will look into eventually... well once enough people have left so our bandwidth useage is back on track..
N/A

Level Playing Field

I wonder if plusnet could persuade Gordon Brown to make everyones tax bill equal.... wouldn't it be unfair for someone to pay more tax than someone else!

or maybe Scots could get a road tax discount as they have less roads than england.
N/A

Level Playing Field

Maybe if you could view the usagae of the account for p2p,ftp and usenet only, but they wont let you nice to know plusnet like to hide these details so when your get close to the total they know you'll start slowing down on your usage when you may have 10gb left.

petervaughan stated "we have to share" this indicates plusnet have no intention of buying more bandwith even though the problem is an increase of customers. Now in any other sense when something get to full capacity you get more capacity, maybe PN should look at this as more customers mean more money so where's it going?

Personally I would argue about any contactral obligations on premier account's as the original email in october showed no change to these, and no other email has been sent thus far, its only if you look on this site you find out the truth!

My advice migrate to Zen. Unlimited bandwith for £8 more and they pay for moving if you can get PN to give you a MAC address (stalling tactics on the way).

how long do you think before my last sentence in the post gets edited lol.
N/A

Re: Level Playing Field

This is because data has to be checked/verified manually and thus can take a few days to complete due to the volume of accounts that pass their billing date each day.

This situation will change once the manual traffic check/reset is automated, and this is expected to be by the end of Feb 2006. Also at the same time, the peak period for P2P/Usenet/FTP will be set the same as SUP (4pm => midnight).

Well if it has to be checked/verified manually but cannot be completed without further delaying things, then don't you think it would be an intelligent thing for a well established company to do by NOT implementing it until it can be achieved without detriment to the paying customer.
Obviously not!
At the end of the day it's all about profits pure and simple.
Logic suggests get rid of one customer on 100gig/month when you can have 10 customers on 10 gig/month for 10x the profit