cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Level 1 Question

N/A

Level 1 Question

A quick question on Level one Management.

Does the level one management restrictions only count from 4.00pm - midnight or 8.00am - midnight?

I have used 12gb 4pm - mid and 12gb 8.00am - 4pm.

total of 24gb between 8.00am and midnight.

I have now been put on Level one management. Is this right?

I thought that PEAK time was 4.00pm - midnight!!

so why have I been restricted when I have only used 12gb.

Explination needed Please.

Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Level 1 Question

Peak time for traffic management is currently 8am - midnight, which is why VMBU has been ammended so that you have a guideline to work with.

This is why you've been placed on level 1 management.
N/A

Level 1 Question

That is complete and utter C**p. Evil

What a way to run a service, And to think that I have previously recommended plusnet to people, Not any more.

Its like living in a nanny state, You Can do what you want but only until we say so. I now know how the Russians felt!!

How can you seriously justify restricting a service from 8.00am - midnight. It would be ok if I was an Insomniac but I am not. I like to watch internet tv programmes and that will be impossible with a 512mb connection.

The way it is going you will have enough bandwidth for everyone who is left soon as I can see a lot of people leaving your so called service for someone who looks after their customers and stops moving the goalposts every 5 minutes.
N/A

Level 1 Question

You need to sort out who are your Business customers and who are your residential ones and restrict them accordingly

By that comment are you implying that you are a business customer?

Currently thats what PN have done. Business and Residential accounts are treated entirely differently.
N/A

Level 1 Question

PCSNI

Tell me why it implies that I am a business customer?

I don't totally disagree with the sanctions put on my account but not between 8.00am - 4.00pm. They are work hours so why should residential customers be restricted from using a full 2mb service when they are paying for it.

Peak time between 4.00pm - midnight and a 30gb limit is fine and I agree with it totally but not when it restricts the connection to 512kb. How am I supposed to watch internet tv using that bandwidth?
JonathanW
Grafter

Level 1 Question

You're not restricted during those times. For the first 20gb then p2p/ftp/nntp will run at high speeds, before they start to slow down. This isn't a restriction, as you can continue to use these protocols beyond this point, all be it a little bit slower.

You say you're watching internet TV? Most of this is streaming media, and as such should come down at full speed no matter what time of day, and is the reason behind traffic shaping in the first place. As we needed to do something to ensure that the network can still deliver this kind of traffic without slowdown, whilst at the same time allowing people to utilise some p2p/nntp/ftp during peak hours.
N/A

Level 1 Question

What did it mean then?

As you have edited the original comment it hardly makes any difference.

The comment as it originally stood made little sense. Hence my question.
N/A

Level 1 Question

Peak time for traffic management is currently 8am - midnight, which is why VMBU has been ammended so that you have a guideline to work with.

This is why you've been placed on level 1 management.

Does the "Peak Time" when your VMBU data gets moved to the previous 3 months (where it shows peak and overall usage at the bottom of the "monthly" display page) include both 8am-4pm and 4pm-midnight in the peaktime, or just the 4pm-midnight?

I ask this because Jan-Feb has just ended for me and the "peak time" measurement is roughly the same as it has been in the previous months, despite my usage not really changing at all and the old (standard) "peak time" just being 4pm-midnight.

Jan-Feb Peak-time : 3.6GB
Total : 12.69GB

Dec-Jan Peak-time : 3.64GB
Total : 11.33GB

Nov-Dec Peak-time : 3.18GB
Total : 13.6GB

I would try adding the amounts up from each day of last month but obviously as last months data has gone and it's now showing Feb-Mar I can't.
JonathanW
Grafter

Level 1 Question

That is only showing your 4pm - midnight usage as peak usage, rather than the 8am onwards slot.

I've raised it through internally to get this sorted out.