cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the community run F9 games

David_W
Rising Star

Well, the F9 games section of the forum is as usual, empty. www.frag9.net just lists downloads (nice, top speed on Americas Army 2.5) but only in a directory, there isnt anything else there.

So why not allow the community to take over the www.frag9.net domain, stick on a CMS, add a forum etc..

With full access to it, including wget and the ability to install the servers + patches etc.. to a few Admins who are F9 users.

Move or link the current Games forum to the forum on frag9.

The file downloads for game clients / patches on the frag9 site could be made available for all (increased bandwith sure, but more advertising for the F9 service) and the Community could have a say in which servers for which games they want installed, with final say being put down to a panel of the Admins and F9 staff (staff getting the final vote).

This would, I believe, open up the gaming side of F9 much more, and could entice more F9 customers into switching over to broadband, or maybe getting new customers from people playing on the servers (start up banner "Welcome to F9's [game-server] at www.f9.net". who want that lovely 20 ping that the F9 BB'ers are having.

Anyhow, thats my idea Smiley
8 REPLIES
N/A

Good Idea - Sounds good!

To be honest - i did not even know this existed!! Cool :lol:
N/A

I'd be interested in joining in with that....
LiamM
Grafter

I think that could be quite a good community.... good idea.
N/A

This is what I have been after - have posted something in the games section of the forum.

Would be great if there were a few servers available with ssh access for things like that. I have done many a game admin before on Barrysworld when that was about, Jolt.co.uk and a few other hosting companies too.

I currently have access to a few boxes on another domain which I admin stuff on, make sure game patches are ok, make sure ssh services are secure, keys are ok, the OS is ok - cron jobs are running, logging is working, access is not compromised, files are working.

Would love to get a quake4 server running Smiley At the moment, im having to host one on my home link - with 8 players, its not very good really. Really could do with 512-768k upload speed to compensate for about 10 players or so.
N/A

Put me down for a BF2 server please
Adam1V
Grafter

Im definatly up for helping out for this guys.
When i joined F9 i first posted a similar topic to you dgweb ( http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1788&highlight= ) more aimed at the counter-strike community, but it does apply to the games community as a whole.

Ive found that Force9 are generally good for low pings when playing online games.
With the above information and a half decent games community im sure we could entice alot of new people.

About 5/6 years ago i used to be a mod for Wireplay which has a huge friendly gaming community and one of the most popular forums ive came accross.

Adam
doomreaper
Grafter

yay about time, i have seen the servers empty or litle used ( maybe just my timeing) for a long tiem , to see them used would be greeat indeed Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

There is no [Idea #} been put in front of this idea, so it looks like F9 wont be doing it, they probably have their own reasons for doing so, but was a good idea anyhow :p