cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less for your money?

ceridwen
Grafter

Less for your money?

PN tell us that traffic shaping, SUP, Usenet restrictions, P2P throttling etc. are necessary to maintain sustainability and "improve the user experience".

Back in Feb/March PN were telling us that FUP would "improve the user experience" and assuring us (quite forceably) that FUP was sustainable.

I though it would be interesting to compare what 21.99 would buy you under FUP compared to what it buys you today:

Speed: Under FUP up to 8Mbit, now just up to 2Mbit - so speedwise you got 4 times more for your money than you do today

Peak time limit: Under FUP 30GB downloads only between 8am and 1am. Now 30GB download and upload but between 4pm and 12pm - a little difficult to compare, but overall you are probably better off today than under FUP

Off peak limit: Under FUP, no limit 1am - 8am (so you could download 200GB on a 2Mbit connection and theoretically 800GB on an 8Mbit connection). Now 70GB 12 am - 4 pm. So roughly you got 2-8 times more off peak download under FUP

Total download limits (peak and off peak): FUP on a 2Mbit connection 230Gb downloads (830Gb theoretical) if on 8Mbit, now 100GB downloads and uploads - so you're getting less that 50% now of what you got under FUP

Action if you consistently exceed limits: FUP, throttled to 150Kbs for the rest of the billing period. Now, throttled to 67Kbps indefinitely - definately better off under FUP

Usenet limits: FUP none, now 15Gb

P2P throttling: FUP none, now typically substantial reduction

Traffic Shaping: FUP node, now extensive

So (somewhat subjectively since direct quantitive comparisons aren't possible), you are getting about 25-50% of the service today for 21.99 compared to what you would have got in April under FUP.

Matthew
5 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Less for your money?

Peak time limit: Under FUP 30GB downloads only between 8am and 1am. Now 30GB download and upload but between 4pm and 12pm - a little difficult to compare, but overall you are probably better off today than under FUP

Wrong! Under the FUP peak time download limits were supposed to be speed related:-
512k - 30GB (except ADSL Home Surf - 22GB)
1Mb - 50GB
2Mb - 75GB
So you are not really likely to be better off under the SUP-- particularly when you consider off peak!
ceridwen
Grafter

Re: Less for your money?

Wrong! Under the FUP peak time download limits were supposed to be speed related:-
512k - 30GB (except ADSL Home Surf - 22GB)
1Mb - 50GB
2Mb - 75GB

No - the peak time limit was based on the price of the package you paid for - not the speed your connection ran at. To quote the SUP package e-mail

Broadband Premier Fair Usage Total 'Fair Usage' Achievable
Product On Peak Levels Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)

£21.99 30GB 230GB
£29.99 50GB 250GB
£39.99 75GB 275GB
£49.99 100GB 300GB
£59.99 125GB 325GB

The package you moved to initially was based on the speed based package you were moving from (so 512Kb would be moved to the 21.99 package, 1Mb to the 29.99 package etc. with a special package for ADSL Homesurf to move to). You could then change down (or up) packages as required.

I was working with the 21.99 package comparing to the current 21.99 package.

You are correct, that if you were stuck on a 512Kb you would have only managed to download 50GB off peak, giving a 80GB total download, (plus a maximum possible 80GB upload) compare to a current total of 100GB for both uploads and downloads.

For those getting 1Mbps speeds you are comparing 130GB download (plus 80GB uploads) against 100GB for both etc.

So 512Kb users are slightly better off now than under SUP if they do a lot of downloading with little uploading (i.e. not P2P which does both). Those on 1Mb or higher (and those who P2P or do a fair amount of uploading) were better off under SUP.

Matthew
shellsong
Grafter

Less for your money?

All I know is that the figures I put were lifted straight from the email I received about the FUP in April-- I can well believe they could have been misleading, or badly quoted from the actual FUP, but that was the info I received from Plusnet at the time!
As a matter of interest my £21.99 package was being upgraded from 512Kbs to a 2Mbs Premier at about the same time for free
ceridwen
Grafter

Less for your money?

The e-mail you are refering to (9/4) indicates which of the new SUP packages an existing 512K, 1Mb, 2Mb would be initially moved to.

i.e. a 512K user would be initially put on the 30GB 21.99 package. However

a) that user would have been upgraded to the fastest speed available (at some point, and potentially up to 8Mbit) subject to line conditions without extra charge
b) people put on the other packages would be able to downgrade to that package independently of what speed their connection was at
c) a new customer could subscribe to the 30GB 21.99 and get the fastest speed their connection was capable of

See also http://web.archive.org/web/20050216080005/http://www.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml
shellsong
Grafter

Less for your money?

Fascinating captain!-- You learn something new every day!
I didn't realise I was being misled even then :!: