Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Product Comparison

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hello,

As products seem to chop and change on an almost monthly basis there should be a way of making a side-by-side comparison of Legacy and current products. Can a page similar to the one at "http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml?link=resbb_viewfulllink" be made available showing the legacy and current products ?

Without this it is difficult to make an informed decision as to whether one would really be "upgrading".

I currently am on a "home lite" product and it would appear this is costing more than the current "PAYG" product that seems most similar, except that it is cheaper and has better contention.

I'm a bit surprised that, given the recent changes from 20 to 50:1 contention, no mention was made of a 30:1 option.

Please can comparison information be made available ?

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

The easiest way to compare the legacy and current products which I have found is byusing this site, courtesy of kitz from the Plus Net usergroup.

Every product sold is there including the current ones.

Should prove worthwhile.
N/A

"I'm a bit surprised that, given the recent changes from 20 to 50:1 contention, no mention was made of a 30:1 option."

30:1 refers to the ratio within PlusNet's own network - it's still 50:1 at the BT exchange, so nothing's really changed in that respect.
(From memory, I think that on the 20:1 products, it's 10:1 within PlusNet's network, but don't quote me on that!)
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The kitz link is great - thanks for that.

I find the contention explanation interesting. Does that mean they are marketing contention as 30:1 when it is really 50:1 ?
N/A

Long standing debate. The BT side of the connection is 50:1 but on the Plus Net side that becomes 30:1.

other ISP's dont publish their network contention but Plus Net have decided to.

Thats a very shortened version as its too long a debate to develop Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

30:1 is the contention over both our network and the BT Centrals. Many other ISPs who quote the contention over their network do not include the BT Centrals in their calculations.
Community Veteran

Yes but just about every other ISP quotes the contention over the virtual paths, which seems to be the indusry norm. Some would say PlusNet's quoted contention of 30:1 is more promonent on the website and could be considered misleading, although thats only what some people might say. Smiley

Chris
N/A

It's my understand that BT have now changed the direction they are taking regarding contention.

Rather than call there products 50:1 or 20:1, they are going to talk about them, only in terms of the speed the user should expect.

In reality, this is nothing new, with exception of the decision to say what they are doing.