cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Plusnet, Received Threatening Letter!

N/A

Told Plusnet I was leaving to goto another ISP, they told me they were going to cease the line(!) and that my last payment was £10-odd, but said nothing else about it, so assumed they would take it as usual like there subscription payments. Finally got them to give me a MAC instead of a cease (I used the "I wish to move to another ISP" option) and left about 2 weeks later (and there's enough notes on this board and portal stating they refuse MAC's until your account is fully payed up, so further assumption all was payed).

I've received a letter today (almost a month since my request to migrate) stating that I still owe £10 and if they don't receive it within 7 days, they are going to refer my payment to a debt recovery company and maybe affect my credit rating.

Is this the new face of PlusNet? If so, I'm glad I've left! Why they didn't take the charge from my bank account when I was still an active customer I've no idea, it appears they prefer to threaten people instead! (My plusnet payments were via DD)

If anyone wants to answer the reason for this, and perhaps offer me a way of paying the final amount via something other than a credit/debit card, then my ticket no. is 20943011
28 REPLIES
MrToast
Grafter

If you owe the money just pay it.

If you don't then dispute the matter by other means.

This forum has no standing for contractual discussions with PN. Its not even a designated Customer Support channel.
N/A

I know that, and I have raised a ticket first, but from past experience, plusnet only seem to bother updating tickets after people complain on the forums about them !

I've no problem with paying the fees due, if they offer someway of paying it. They are requesting my credit/debit card details, which I don't have.
sophos9
Grafter

dude, its never nice receiving letters that state the 'worst case' so early and this is something that happens with many companies!

Clear up whats needed and move on... Sorry your experience with PN was not a good one Sad
N/A

What I'm suprised at is Plusnet are still making regular screwups even though I've now left!

The letter I've received says I owe £10.11, and support have just told me I owe £10.26.

I wonder if all there accountants are this bad :twisted: Tongue
N/A

If you owe the money just pay it.

If you don't then dispute the matter by other means.

This forum has no standing for contractual discussions with PN. Its not even a designated Customer Support channel.

Although PlusNet will happily try and push people to this and other forums rather than continuing discussion on matters via the ticket system.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've checked the ticket for you and see that one of my colleague's has already answered it for you. Reason for the payment not being taken by Direct Debit is because our billing system can't process one off fees like this via Direct Debit, they need to be processed via a card or if you don't have a card, via a cheque. My colleague's also provided the address for a cheque payment.
Community Veteran

Hi Dave

Are you able to explain why the first route to a solution from Plusnet is to threaten people with debt recovery agencies?
Mand
Grafter

Hi

In a failed billing scenario on an active account we would send an email and raise a ticket on the account, this just says that the account is in failed billing and requires a payment to keep it ongoing.

When the account is not active our finance team send out a letter to the customer, I'm not sure of the exact text of this but will see if I can find this out tomorrow.

If it reads as threatening as it sounds I'll see about getting the initial letter changed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One of my referrals died recently and his bank account was therefore frozen. The first letter his widow received from Plusnet stated that it was being referred to a debt collection agency. Evil
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Mand, Dave

Just bouncing this up - I really do think an answer is appropriate. I appreciate that due to holidays it may take a few days though.

Cheers

Tony.
Mand
Grafter

One of my referrals died recently and his bank account was therefore frozen. The first letter his widow received from Plusnet stated that it was being referred to a debt collection agency. Evil

Hi

Can you PM me the username so that I can investigate this please?
Grimbo
Grafter

In a failed billing scenario on an active account we would send an email and raise a ticket on the account, this just says that the account is in failed billing and requires a payment to keep it ongoing.

This must have changed recently then - only a few months ago one of my £2.93 service payments failed (due to an expired credit card) so they just cut me off. No warnings, no phone calls - no internet!

(The fact I had been with Plusnet for 7 years didn't seem to mean very much).
N/A

If you want to migrate to another ISP apart from the deferred activation fee what other charges if any are there ? I'm on a monthly contract and joined Nov 2005.

thanks.
James
Grafter

We'd just need the deferred charges paid in order to generate the MAC Code.

Subscription fees to cover the 30 day notice period once you had migrated would be processed once you had migrated.