cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PlusNet After Being Moved from BT to an LLU

N/A

In the last few days I have learned more about the broadband industry than I ever wanted to know. It is not a pretty sight.

Could someone from the User Group or from Plusnet please clear something up for me.

My service is unuseable since an unwanted move from BT to an LLU.

Plusnet are refusing to move me back to BT.

My current plan is to move to cable and also have a reliable BT broadband supplier as a backup.

If I ask Plusnet for a Mac Key are they going to tell me that is a problem because I am no longer BT? I have seen some scarey stuff on other sites about PlusNet trying to get people to pay to be moved back to BT before they can leave (ironic if the reason for leaving is Plusnet moving them from BT and screwing up their connection).

What is the position on leaving PlusNet having been forced away from BT?

Any advice appreciated. Here comes my next disconnect...
22 REPLIES
IanD
Grafter

If PlusNet moved you when you had specifically asked not be moved then I'd have thought you are fully covered.

If you have records of your request and all other correspondence then you could ultimately use the small claims court to recover any costs you incur in getting back to BT should PlusNet continue to refuse.

If you do have all your records, then I'd have thought telling PlusNet what steps you intend to take to get it sorted if they fail to do so should make them think again.

I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge will come along and give the things to quote back to them.

Good luck in getting it sorted and keep us posted on how you get on.
N/A

I never asked not to be moved until they moved me and screwed up my service. I never thought an ISP would make such a move without testing properly or having a backout plan.

I fully expect someone to post a reply on here telling me that my fears are unfounded. Possibly tomorrow when offices open.

If what I say was true then all their customers would rush to leave before the move to an LLU. Plusnet surely wouldn't be that stupid.

I am just relaying what I read elsewhere and this comment from PlusNet in their notes about moves to LLUs:

"Will I be able to move away from the service?
Currently there is no BT support for MAC based moves away from an LLU based service. Any customer wishing to move away from a PlusNet connection provided under LLU will have to cancel their broadband service. We are pressing BT as hard as possible on this and we have been told that a MAC based move process will become possible in the next few months for customers who are provisioned through LLU. Note that this affects all ISPs using LLU, not just us."

The full notes on LLU moves are here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/network_suppliers.shtml

I am getting used to the phrase "Note that this affects all ISPs ...not just us." This phrase is attached to every piece of craziness in the mad world of internet service provision.
N/A

I am getting used to the phrase "Note that this affects all ISPs ...not just us." This phrase is attached to every piece of craziness in the mad world of internet service provision.

Strangely enough so am I; it's worrying isn't it? Wink
N/A

For the record I was not warned specifically about this upgrade and given option to opt out.

Given the chance I would have opted out as I have just started 2 weeks holiday with the sole purpose of betting online on the World Cup.

This link talks about an opt out that I was never offered.

http://usergroup.plus.net/faq_tiscalillu.php
N/A

Plusnet promised in previous threads that we would be given 7 days notice of any change to LLU.
Have I missed another change of stance from plusnet ?

Dave
N/A

Hi there,

I have flagged this issue to the Comms Team for you and hopefully some explanation of what occurred and what options are available to you will be forthcoming.
N/A

Thanks very much Mark.
N/A

how would I tell if I have been moved to tiscali LLU?
N/A

re being on Tiscali LLU...

1) the upstream speed might be higher than the BT Max rate of 448 kbps (or Max Premium of 8xx for those who had 20:1 "business" services before)

2) the BT speed test login would no longer work, as the data connection is now on LLU so cannot access the BT Wholesale network.
N/A

tgould: "have a reliable BT broadband supplier as a backup."

consider Metronet (OK, I know it is still PN!) as a cheap monthly rental of 11.75 should be enough given it would be your backup, but put traffic through it all the time (eg DNS lookups) so you know it is up for when you might actually need it

(not attacking cable - there is no cable service here, but no point having a backup if it could be down and you don't notice that's the case, hence suggest using it for limited traffic use)... might even be a possibility to have the MN service and PN line rental for the 15 quid "UK calls included" deal, as I've mostly seen bad reports about costs of voice calls on cable...

TG: "If I ask Plusnet for a Mac Key are they going to tell me that is a problem ..."

There was a posting from James Bailey the other day on ADSLguide about this issue. The testing of migrating LLU => BT is still in progress (there were links to articles posted in June on www.theregister.co.uk about plans for BTW to make it a smoother procedure). I think it is still a fragile situation and one you might want to avoid until you have cable working! Alternatively asking for a cease (and signing up with a competitor that has only a 12 month "lock in" for their "you stay, we pay" deal might be worth considering, or if you can get the Bulldog PAYG service [and then really keep the ADSL router off unless you have a cable failure, as their PAYG is 3p/2p/1p per minute when active, and a tenner a month]

TG: "What is the position on leaving PlusNet having been forced away from BT? "

There was some post weeks ago from Ian Wild saying that cases would be looked at on an individual basis, but essentially it suggested the customer would not be out of pocket. I don't have a reference to that, nor can I recall if it was on ADSLGuide or here - I suspect it was here in this area.
N/A

thankfully it looks like I'm still on BT, even though I am on a Tiscalli enabled exchange (according to samknows), does this mean I have been saved from LLU or is it likely I will be moved?
N/A

Thanks for the comments GoodValueISP. I have cable guy coming tomorrow so once that is working I can deal with the PlusNet situation. Your recomendation to do that first is sound.

I already use the cable company for TV (no other choice) which forces me to pay for a phone line I don't use (I don't trust cable companies to provide phone services).

I always avoided using cable for broadband also as there are so many horror stories. Now I have decided that this PlusNet idea of having a raft of companies providing my service (all of whom will be blaming each other) is a model that cannot work. Especially when coupled with PlusNet's lack of processes for change management etc. So the appeal of cable is that only one company will be to blame when I do have problems.

I just had a call from a very polite lady from PlusNet. She offered 2 options for moving me back to BT: one will involve a week of downtime and the other is a migration process which is currently experimental (my word but that was the gist).

She also offered to continue investigating the fault and escalating it.

I opted for the fault being looked at and if cable guy does his job tomorrow PlusNet will have a whole week to move me back to BT without inconveniencing me. How that goes will determine whether or not I stay with them.

Given that we are where we are the lady done good.
N/A

@sponge - it may be "pot luck" as to whether you get moved or not.

I know a few people on an exchange in the next town which supposedly is "enabled" for Tiscali LLU. One seemed to have had his DSL Max switch in early April, others are probably still on 2000 kbps.

Is there still the "opt out" to prevent LLU at <http://trials.plus.net/>
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I just had a call from a very polite lady from PlusNet...... She also offered to continue investigating the fault and escalating it.

Thats good to hear. It looks like PN might be starting to get the customer service levels back to where they once were as they stated recently Wink