cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PN from LLU to another LLU – Clarity

N/A

I have decided to leave PN for Sky, after being migrated to Tiscali and suffering connection time outs and slower speeds. I requested my MAC code on the 11th of August and I still haven’t received it. I was told on the 17th of August that I would receive it within a week and PN apologised for the delay, but I still have yet to receive it and my response to my ticket asking for an update remains unanswered. (By the number of posts on this forum this seems to be an ever increasing problem.)

What I want to know; is what is the official stance on providing MAC codes from LLU? And am I going round in circles chasing my MAC code from PN?

From what little I understand, Tiscali haven’t signed up to the voluntary code of providing MAC codes and this received some publicity earlier this year when they refused to give some customers MAC codes. So does this mean now that I’m on Tiscali’s kit the same thing will happen to me?

However, I have since read on previous forum posts that PN are undertaking a trial LLU MAC code process. I have spoken to Sky and they told me they can accept this code, which is what prompted my initial MAC code request on the 11th August.

The final issue is that of my contract. I am worried that if I keep waiting for this elusive MAC code to appear from PN this might take several months and therefore several more months of paying for a service that I don’t want.

As far as I am aware I am left with three options and I would appreciate it if someone from PN can clarify my best course of action.

1)Wait for this elusive MAC code that may or may not come?
2)Simply cancel my service, sit out the month contract, wait until my line is back with BT, suffer a few weeks of no broadband while I’m waiting for Sky to activate?
3)If PN continue to promise my MAC code and fail to send it cancel my DD until they do?

I actually phoned Ofcom to seek their advice and they told me to cancel my service as I will be unable to receive a MAC code! Which contradicts PN ticket responses that suggest that I will be able to get a MAC code!

Please PN can you tell me what to do!!
3 REPLIES
James
Grafter

1)Wait for this elusive MAC code that may or may not come?

- You should receive it, but it generally takes us a while to get it from Tiscali.

2)Simply cancel my service, sit out the month contract, wait until my line is back with BT, suffer a few weeks of no broadband while I’m waiting for Sky to activate?

- Probably the best bet, because as far as I know, Sky don't accept LLU Mac keys. I only know of threee providers that do.

3)If PN continue to promise my MAC code and fail to send it cancel my DD until they do?

- Not advisable as this would result in debt recovery process starting automatically.
MrToast
Grafter

I presume you are not even considering a request to PN to put you back on a BTw product?

It may not satisy your emotions at this point, but in practical terms it might be the easiest way to get a reliable service.... if thats the issue you are trying to solve.
N/A

Thanks for your reply James, the only problem is can you quantify how long "a while" is in reference to waiting for Tiscali to provide my MAC code?

I really want to avoid the cancelation process as this would mean a period of no broadband while I'm registering for the Sky service.

Finally, can you re-migrate me back to BT without me having to incur more cost as a goodwill gesture?